Excessive diarrhea during first molt

JD7764

Chirping
Apr 18, 2022
I have two barred rock hens on their first molt. They’re my most problematic hens in general. Both of them are molting pretty hard. Whole sections just completely bare. I can see new feathers coming in. No rooster. No hen pecking. They are having excessive diarrhea. Poop that is just basically all water. I’ve seen little bits of green (no free ranging or green treats). Sometimes I see some frothy bits. They wake up and just come out and drink tons of water. More water than I see them drink in the summer. It’s currently highs in the 50’s, lows around freezing. This morning I brought out crumbles with egg and poured warm water over it. Usually they go crazy for it. They didn’t eat anything. I am putting electrolytes and chicken vitamins and minerals in the water. Been giving scrambled eggs and mealworms to boost protein. I have 3 pullets who, all are eating and acting perfectly healthy. 2 are laying regularly, 1 never started laying so still hasn’t. I have two other 1.5 year old hens who are also molting, not laying, but appear to be eating and drinking and acting normally.

Is this just stress from molting or is something else going on?? I plan on treating them entirely myself. Should I quarantine them? Should I heat their coop for a little bit for less stress? It is supposed to be a low of 23 in the coming days. Anything else I could do or be watching for? How long might this go on for? Thanks!

Photos? Poop and hens.

Drinking a lot of water - are their crops emptying?
Do you provide grit (crushed granite) for your hens?
What do you normally feed, including treats?

You mention they are they most problematic, explain?

A hard molt can make hens feel poorly and often they don't eat very well. I'd provide fresh water and their normal feed. Treats of egg, fish or meat can also be enticing.
A little finely chopped greens (Kale, Spinach, Collards) are sometimes welcome during molt.

I wouldn't quarantine or separate them unless they are getting picked on by the others. I wouldn't provide extra heat, if they have a coop/housing that provide protection from wind and the elements. Do provide extra bedding or straw that they can huddle in.
I've had naked molting hens in those temps, they usually stay in the coop hunkered in deep bedding, coming out to catch some sun and eat/drink.

Back
Top Bottom