Long Leg Feathers (Not Foot Feathers)

CrossBreederForFun

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2021
I have birds with 6 inch feathers with a strong shaft that extend rearward from their upper leg. They aren't the fluffy feathers usually found in that area as seen on the gold laced cochin hen below. They remind me of the feathers extending from the ankles of the Greek god Hermes, but on these chickens they extend from the upper leg. I've tried to google this but the only links I get refer to feathers that grow from chickens' toes.

Here's the breeding history that this feather feature came from. I bred a gold laced cochin hen to a buff brahma rooster, and then bred a resulting rooster back to his mother (the gold laced cochin). Now I have second generation birds and the gold lacing is taking hold in this cross, but these long leg feathers are showing up. Here's some photos. Sorry about the feather condition. They're molting.

The first is the gold laced cochin. The second is her son from a buff brahma rooster. The third and fourth is a current offspring with the leg feathers. As seen in the photos, when the bird is stationary the leg feathers tend to curl around. They stand out more when the bird moves and are clearly different from the fluff usually found there. They must be at least 6 inches long and stand alone and separate from the fluff.

Attachments

• 20230926_161919.jpg
    20230926_161919.jpg
    783.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 20230926_163434.jpg
    20230926_163434.jpg
    815.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230926_162011.jpg
    20230926_162011.jpg
    931 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230926_161604.jpg
    20230926_161604.jpg
    621.2 KB · Views: 27
I have birds with 6 inch feathers with a strong shaft that extend rearward from their upper leg. They aren't the fluffy feathers usually found in that area as seen on the gold laced cochin hen below. They remind me of the feathers extending from the ankles of the Greek god Hermes, but on these chickens they extend from the upper leg. I've tried to google this but the only links I get refer to feathers that grow from chickens' toes.
Try the term "vulture hocks"

Thank you both. That nails it... "vulture hocks". Although, I like my thinking they are "Hermes feathers" to be a nicer label.

So reading about the contributing genes, do Brahmas ever show up with this? It seems that by crossing a Chochin and a Brahma the foot feathers of the F1 offspring was enhanced.

Thank you both. That nails it... "vulture hocks". Although, I like my thinking they are "Hermes feathers" to be a nicer label.

So reading about the contributing genes, do Brahmas ever show up with this? It seems that by crossing a Chochin and a Brahma the foot feathers of the F1 offspring was enhanced.
Yes, European Brahmas are supposed to have vulture hocks.
1695833803154.jpeg

Everyone kinda beat me to this thread but yes, vulture hocks. By bantam cochins rooster and his babies have these.

When my vulture hock birds fully feather out from molting I'll update this with new photos. The vulture hock feathers on my birds are longer, stronger (firmer), and less fluffy than the pictures I'm seeing of vulture hocks both here and when doing images searches on the web.

When my vulture hock birds fully feather out from molting I'll update this with new photos. The vulture hock feathers on my birds are longer, stronger (firmer), and less fluffy than the pictures I'm seeing of vulture hocks both here and when doing images searches on the web.
No need to update us. Vulture hocks are characterized as being long and stiff like flight feathers. Especially in d’Uccles, Booted Bantams, and Sultans.
Cochins do have the gene but don’t have the vulture hocks trait.
1695925363665.jpeg

1695925653053.jpeg

Cochins are a breed with soft, fluffy, flexible feathers and Brahmas as well so they are somewhat less so. While European Brahmas have vulture hocks, they are still somewhat soft.
If Cochins had long, strong, and stiff vulture hocks they would be disqualified. The gene expresses differently depending on the firmness of the birds feathers, and the genes can certainly be modified to make the feathers longer.

No need to update us. Vulture hocks are characterized as being long and stiff like flight feathers. Especially in d’Uccles, Booted Bantams, and Sultans.
Cochins do have the gene but don’t have the vulture hocks trait.
View attachment 3647426

View attachment 3647430
Cochins are a breed with soft, fluffy, flexible feathers and Brahmas as well so they are somewhat less so. While European Brahmas have vulture hocks, they are still somewhat soft.
If Cochins had long, strong, and stiff vulture hocks they would be disqualified. The gene expresses differently depending on the firmness of the birds feathers, and the genes can certainly be modified to make the feathers longer.
Thanks. The hocks on the orange specked bird are pretty much what I am getting.

Back
Top Bottom