First Molt

HannahGS

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 25, 2014
Hi everyone
My year old hen is going through her first molt. She started about five days ago and is losing most of her down feathers. The weather here has been very cold and she has been acting less energetic and more moody. I'm guessing this is normal but yesterday I noticed her face, which is usually red, is turing grayish. Is that normal? If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.

They do tend to be a little more pale in the face when molting as compared to when they are laying but usually they still have some pink or red to them. However, mites or a heavy worm load can also cause a bird to get very pale.

I have, in the past, had a couple birds molt late in the year and were nearly naked during cold weather. I brought them into my garage where they could stay warmer, especially at night, until the feathers came back in. You can also offer some extra protein such as mashed hard boiled egg or some meal worms. Flock raiser/grower feed or game bird feed has higher protein as well to help meet the needs of molting birds.

Thanks for the help! I only have two other chickens and have checked for mites so I've ruled that out. I think she is jut having a hard time because the cold it really harsh.

Back
Top Bottom