First Muscovies!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wbjdmd, Mar 31, 2009.

1. wbjdmd

wbjdmd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Here are my first two muscovies ever! I got six eggs from a friend who had "put them under a hen" My question is how long to wait for the last 4 to hatch? I thought these 2 were about a week early, should I continue to incubate the last four for another week and see what happens? Should I just open and quickly grab these two after 2 days and transfer them to my brooder? I need your help!
    [​IMG]

2. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

Congrats on the new babies - I would pull them out and put in the brooder.
    It takes 35 days for them to hatch - but I have had them hatch a week early b/c the hen had been sitting on the nest and we didn't know it. You might candle and then if they still look good - leave them in - what could it hurt. [​IMG]

3. wbjdmd

Jun 24, 2008
    That was my thoughts! I candled friday and they looked good. One looked less developed but still looked vital. I think I'll do that! I would love to hear what others think.

4. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I would take the babies out , and if the eggs arnt pipped Id be tempted to do a quick candle on them but I would defiently regardless give them another week befor I thought about giveing up on them .
    Good luck

And those are some sweet babies:thumbsup

5. wbjdmd

Jun 24, 2008
    I hatched 6 Pekins last week and these babies are MUCH more docile than the Pekins. Is that normal?

6. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

I don't have anything useful to add, except congrats on your 2 new babies! That duckling staring at the camera is just overflowing with cuteness. What a great picture.

7. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    You will love them. I hatched out 4 last summer. They are my best ducks. All my other ducks (other breeds) run from me now but my Scovies still think I am their momma and will let me walk right up to them and pick them up. They are so sweet! I know a lot of people dislike them but I love them. Congrats on the ducklings! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by