NEWBIE Abandoned Muscovy eggs (Incubating the last 7-10 days) they sat under another Muscovy until her eggs hatched 2 weeks ago.

Yes, I picked up water fowl crumbles. The experienced mom seems to move around where she sleeps, but stays close to our house. It’s nearly 100 degrees here during the day but at night will go down a bit. I will set up a brooder even if just for a couple nights. . She comes to feed every morning and stays for awhile under a tree. She also aimed back at night to feed. I am hoping to add the duckling then. The ducklings are a week old today that she has. Keep your fingers crossed.
I have a Muscovy go and 'steal' another's ducklings that were several days younger. A week is a bit much, but hopefully she'll take them. Muscovy are amazing mothers, usually.

They'll need some form of heat until they grow feathers. In nature, when the mother is raising the young, if they get chilled she will warm them underneath her. We mimic that with a brooder that has a heat source at one end so the babies can go to it if they are chilled, which is more likely without a mother.

Newly hatched chicks and ducklings actually stay under their mother for a couple of days in most cases. They don't need food or water yet as they have plenty of reserves from absorbing the yolk sac just prior to hatching. It's a critical time for them as they get chilled very easily.

Hopefully the mother with babies will take these on. Some do, some don't. The best time to introduce new babies is usually at night when they are sleeping on their nest. I don't know if this will be an option for you.

Have you picked up duckling-specific food for them?
Yes, I picked up water fowl crumbles. The experienced mom seems to move around at night but stays close to our house. It’s nearly 100 degrees here during the day but at night will go down a bit. I will set up a brooder. She comes to feed every morning and stays for awhile under a tree. I am hoping to add the duckling then.
NEWBIE Abandoned Muscovy eggs (Incubating the last 7-10 days) they sat under another Muscovy until her eggs hatched 2 weeks ago.

HI total newbie here. Had a sweet Muscovy lay her eggs in our back yard and also a very young Muscovy abandon her eggs. I put her eggs in the nest with the Muscovy who was a great mom and after hers hatched she left the 6 others behind. 4 were viable. This was about a week ago. They are being incubated. Crash course in what to do. I circled the air sacs. They are no longer rotating. I see one today has broke into the airsack and I can hear crunching. I am leaving them be. 3 seem to be due soon and one is way behind.

? DO I MIST THEM?

I was able to watch the last ducklings hatch naturally as the mom is very tolerant of me. I did see the air hole made by the ducklings in the shell and it was about 72 hours until they hatched.

I would really appreciate some info on the things I should be concerned about. I am not sure they are positioned well since they were being turned until a day ago.

Really appreciate your help. Thank you, Jen

We have a nice little oxygen hole :)

Attachments

• D0F57BC5-1BD9-4BF3-8CA2-E7CFB97267F1.jpeg
    D0F57BC5-1BD9-4BF3-8CA2-E7CFB97267F1.jpeg
    288.2 KB · Views: 4
I have a Muscovy go and 'steal' another's ducklings that were several days younger. A week is a bit much, but hopefully she'll take them. Muscovy are amazing mothers, usually.
Yes they are. I really hope she takes them. We may have one as soon as tomorrow! We have an oxygen hole.

Attachments

• 1FF67EC8-3130-41CA-BADC-6FDA7BDC65A0.jpeg
    1FF67EC8-3130-41CA-BADC-6FDA7BDC65A0.jpeg
    288.2 KB · Views: 5
We had a textbook hatch. Set up a brooder box. Made it through the night. Took it out with the other mom this morning for her feed time. She is wild. Comes to the house at 7am. She was very interested. Her ducklings are 8 days older. One def. Did not approve. Reading up on having a singleton till the remaining 3 eggs hatch. Any suggestions? I went on your page. You are super knowledgeable. He seemed to pull out the belly fur or is that normal to loose it? Pics attached. Tips on how to entice him to eat.

Attachments

• 12C0868E-F9FD-4C81-A433-3D88B6D1355B.jpeg
    12C0868E-F9FD-4C81-A433-3D88B6D1355B.jpeg
    266.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 35C6171A-385F-414F-A497-94ABEC00FD97.jpeg
    35C6171A-385F-414F-A497-94ABEC00FD97.jpeg
    408.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 22E9AEFE-D514-4BFA-A262-A16D7150AD9A.jpeg
    22E9AEFE-D514-4BFA-A262-A16D7150AD9A.jpeg
    489.4 KB · Views: 4
Congrats on the first hatch!

Huh, that's odd about the belly fluff. I've never seen that. Maybe it got stuck to the membrane when the baby hatched...

They usually don't eat for the first 24 hours, sometimes even two days. You can sprinkle some of the crumbles over the bottom of the brooder to 'activate' his innate pecking reflex. I always mix the main crumbles with water until they're mush, my whole flock prefers their food this way but it's particularly easier for the ducklings.

I love the bundle of stuffed toys you have in there with the baby! You might want to add a small mirror too. The reflection will make it seem like he's not alone.

Congrats on the first hatch!

Huh, that's odd about the belly fluff. I've never seen that. Maybe it got stuck to the membrane when the baby hatched...

They usually don't eat for the first 24 hours, sometimes even two days. You can sprinkle some of the crumbles over the bottom of the brooder to 'activate' his innate pecking reflex. I always mix the main crumbles with water until they're mush, my whole flock prefers their food this way but it's particularly easier for the ducklings.

I love the bundle of stuffed toys you have in there with the baby! You might want to add a small mirror too. The reflection will make it seem like he's not alone.
It def. Had more feathers on the. Ella. They seemed to fall out. YES I added a small mirror this morning and he LOVES the new friend. I also brought him out when I fed the older ones with the Mom. Her duckling did not seem to like him. Not sure if I mentioned that already. I’ll hopefully have another hatching in the next 72 hours. That will help.

Attachments

• 62FC10DB-6AA4-44BB-A9CA-91CB322650F9.jpeg
    62FC10DB-6AA4-44BB-A9CA-91CB322650F9.jpeg
    304.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 05AA51AE-1A54-4FC0-824D-0A3A754CBFD9.jpeg
    05AA51AE-1A54-4FC0-824D-0A3A754CBFD9.jpeg
    303.5 KB · Views: 2
Glad the mirror helps! He'll feel a bit less alone until his siblings arrive.

They are such odd creatures. I had some older ducklings in with my two-week-olds yesterday morning, and the youngsters were attacking them! The older ones were baffled as to what was happening.

Glad the mirror helps! He'll feel a bit less alone until his siblings arrive.

They are such odd creatures. I had some older ducklings in with my two-week-olds yesterday morning, and the youngsters were attacking them! The older ones were baffled as to what was happening.
Sadly our little duckling passed in the night.

Back
Top Bottom