First night in coop!

pkgal21

Songster
Jan 30, 2018
North Texas
Introduced the girls to their new coop! Meet Ginny, Tonks, Winky, Niffler, Butterbeer, and Buckbeak. ❤️⚡

I'm a nervous chicken mama and keep checking on them.
IMG_20180319_190450_679.jpg

Last edited:
Love it!! How old are your chicks? Mike look like that but they’re only about 4-5 weeks old. I was cleaning out my brooder today and one of my babes FLEW out!! Startled her as much as it did me I think because she jumped right back in! But it got me thinking, maybe they’re big enough to go in the coop? They’re not 100% feathered out yet so I worry that they’ll get too cold. What do you think?

Love it!! How old are your chicks? Mike look like that but they’re only about 4-5 weeks old. I was cleaning out my brooder today and one of my babes FLEW out!! Startled her as much as it did me I think because she jumped right back in! But it got me thinking, maybe they’re big enough to go in the coop? They’re not 100% feathered out yet so I worry that they’ll get too cold. What do you think?
Are you still providing supplemental heat where they are at now? Is your co-op situated such that you would have electricity available to provide supplemental heat while transitioning them? Are there larger birds already in the co-op with which your younger birds must integrate?

This is my 1st brood for this year roosting on the window sill of the coop this evening. They are 5 weeks and have been off heat for almost 2 weeks now. However, they were raised outside from day one (temps dipping into low 20s) and therefor have not had to undergo a transition to adjust to the temperatures.

20180320_192203.jpg

Are you still providing supplemental heat where they are at now? Is your co-op situated such that you would have electricity available to provide supplemental heat while transitioning them? Are there larger birds already in the co-op with which your younger birds must integrate?

This is my 1st brood for this year roosting on the window sill of the coop this evening. They are 5 weeks and have been off heat for almost 2 weeks now. However, they were raised outside from day one (temps dipping into low 20s) and therefor have not had to undergo a transition to adjust to the temperatures.

View attachment 1304718

Wow that’s amazing! I didn’t even realize they could be outside from day one without a mama hen to take care of them. Mine have been in a water trough turned brooder since they were tiny. I picked them up the 24th of Feb and I assume they were appx a week to a week and a half old at that tune. Thy have supplemental heat right now, but I want to wean them off over the next week and yes, I can get electricity to the coop fornthem to provide heat if they need it. Temps here are dipping just above freezing at night still. I have three coops, and the one I’m planning on putting the babies in is vacant except for one hen who is kind of a loner :(. That’s my other dilemma...what to do with her. Can she safely be in the coop at night with the babies? And I can just let her out in the mornings? Or should I move her to a different coop.

I have 4 and 5 week olds. They were raised with a mama heating pad and started weaning themselves off of it a week or so ago. I live in Texas, so it's not really cold. I worried like crazy the first night, even put the heating pad out there. But they huddled in a corner together instead. They're loving it so far.

Back
Top Bottom