First Night In New Coop

RaeofSunshine

Chirping
Jun 2, 2022
Charlotte NC area
Hello All!

So last night was move in day for my babies into their new coop. There are still some tweaks and additions we plan on making but there was no reason to keep them out of their new home any longer. Let me just say, I got VERY little sleep because I was checking on them most of the night! I even went out about 2am in my nightgown with my phone flashlight on JUST to make sure the automatic door didn’t do anything wonky and was still closed! (It was)

We got them into the coop with some daylight left so they could get acclimated and find their roosting area and such. They finally settled in. What distressed me and tore my nerves up all night is that one of my babies roosted on a half inch piece of plywood all night! And seemed completely unbothered by it! There’s currently 8’ of roosting bar and more to come.

If this occurs again should I sneak in there and scootch her to a seemingly more comfortable spot? Thanks in advance for any insight!

Attachments

• 00B7292F-6BD0-42E1-B3B7-469826592F0E.jpeg
    00B7292F-6BD0-42E1-B3B7-469826592F0E.jpeg
    868.4 KB · Views: 16
Om
I thought I was the only weirdo that loses sleep about things like this 😅. Ive also gone out in the middle of the night to make sure it's locked..and that they're all ok.
OMG. I was tiptoeing outside in the middle of the night thinking “I am officially a crazy chicken lady”. (It was the going out in my nightgown that confirmed it for me) 😩😂😂. I’m totally ok with that! Crazy chicken ladies UNITE!🙌

So funny! Depending upon how much more tweaking to be done, I'd hold off and let the littles do their thing until your construction has finished. Then see what everyone decides to do, and if you need to "re-direct" them in their roosting.

Right now, I do night check at the barn ~9pm each night (have done this for 14 years) ;) to check on my 4 pullet babies, which have decided to roost on top of the exterior nest box compartment which is external to the coop. I have to take each girl and place on the roost inside the coop--they are not happy during this procedure. But looks like they've been staying put the remainder of the night. Not sure how long this will go on...

So funny! Depending upon how much more tweaking to be done, I'd hold off and let the littles do their thing until your construction has finished. Then see what everyone decides to do, and if you need to "re-direct" them in their roosting.

Right now, I do night check at the barn ~9pm each night (have done this for 14 years) ;) to check on my 4 pullet babies, which have decided to roost on top of the exterior nest box compartment which is external to the coop. I have to take each girl and place on the roost inside the coop--they are not happy during this procedure. But looks like they've been staying put the remainder of the night. Not sure how long this will go on...
Thanks so much for the input! I’m planning on adding more roosts (along the back wall) and a bit more ventilation along the back wall. I’m so tickled that they took to the coop/roost so well (so far) but I’m a new mama so I worry LOL.

Th
We nearly all have made trips to the coop in nightwear... so while you might be crazy, you are not alone.

As to where they perch, you don't have to worry about that. Let them choose. They know more about being a chicken than we do.

Mrs K
Thank you so much for that! Can I just say that I have read so many threads, comments and articles and truly appreciate your wisdom!?! You have helped me in so many ways...more than I can say! ❤️

I agree with Mrs K, let them decide where they want to sleep as long as it is somewhere predator safe and not in your nests. Those are my rules but I think she'd agree.

You'll notice that many people on here get really concerned about things like this, as if they are hurting their chicks by not forcing them to do what we want them to do. I do have my limits, but for the most part I'm quite content to let them make a lot of those decisions.

I agree with Mrs K, let them decide where they want to sleep as long as it is somewhere predator safe and not in your nests. Those are my rules but I think she'd agree.

You'll notice that many people on here get really concerned about things like this, as if they are hurting their chicks by not forcing them to do what we want them to do. I do have my limits, but for the most part I'm quite content to let them make a lot of those decisions.
Thank you for that! Solid rules! I appreciate your input!

Back
Top Bottom