First night in the coop approaching

KnitswithChickens

Songster
14 Years
Apr 7, 2009
Vermont
I have a few newbie questions regarding coop living since my girls will be graduating from the brooder to the coop and run in a day or two.

1. I have two large windows on each end of my coop covered in hardware cloth. They can be closed up with plywood. They'll be open all day, but should I leave them open at night too? I do have a vent covered in hardware cloth that will stay open all the time.

2. Do I need to leave water or food inside the coop overnight?

You can see pictures of my coop on my page if it helps to answer the first question.

Thanks

Hi
How old are your chicks? Where are you located? If you get very cool at night I'd close the windows. Don't want them to get to cold.
smile.png

As long as it doesn't get too cold at night and they remain protected from night predators, they should be fine. I live in MA and still run a heat lamp at night for my 6 weeks old because of the brutal cool, wet weather we have been having lately. I also have a couple of 3 - 4 week old EE's in there too.
As far as food and water go, I have a dual set up, one for inside the coop and one outside. That way they can eat whenever they like. Seems to be working for them so far.
Good luck with the big move, keep us posted.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom