First night in the coop too soon??

6chicks1coop

Chirping
Apr 11, 2020
South Jersey
Hi Everyone! Hope everyone is well! Tonight we put our six week old chicks in their coop for the first time. There are six of them all together in there. We feel confident it is predator-proof, but unsure of the weather and if they might get cold throughout the night. The lowest temp tonight is going to be 44. We have had them in the basement up until now with no heat since they were 4 weeks old. Here are some pictures of their set up in the coop tonight

Attachments

• IMG_1919.jpeg
    IMG_1919.jpeg
    630 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1920.jpeg
    IMG_1920.jpeg
    652 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1923.jpeg
    IMG_1923.jpeg
    702 KB · Views: 16
I put mine out in the coop at 3.5 weeks, but still had their heat plate out with them as an option. They dont use it particularly often since theyve feathered out a good bit, but on the nights it dips to low 50s or high 40s they pop under for short periods. otherwise theyre much happier in the coop than inside a small brooder

They will be fine! I was scared for ours when the night dipped into the 20s but they roosted together and we found the coop to be 8-12 degrees warmer inside than the air temp outside.

Random side note - I would ensure there are roosting spots above the nesting boxes or else they will roost/sleep inside the boxes since they gravitate towards the highest points

Back
Top Bottom