First Night Out-Success! Pics!

mrstillery09

Chirping
11 Years
Feb 9, 2012
Kansas City, Missouri
Our chicks are 5 weeks old and this is going to be their 3rd night sleeping outside. I was so concerned the first night because I just knew something was going to snatch them, or it'd be too cold and they would die. They have done great though! Last night it was in the 40's and rainy so I ended up putting the light out with them.

It's kind of funny, they looked so big in their brooder, but now they look so small!

7 chickadees were all together on a roost and I had these 3 rebels...

I've got 16 6 wk olds and 10 5 wk old bantams out in the lil coop. they are doing great!! I did use the light for first week or so. I love watching them... So funny!!

Love it!!! They look like they are loving it
big_smile.png

My gang of 4 (4 Ameracuna 7 1/2 week old chicks) that I just put out in a dog crate in the big coop (to integrate with the other chickens). Julia my frizzel cochin is the only one giving them a hard time. They will be there a week - if Julia doesn't stop she will go into the dog crate for a time out and they will be put in with my roo and another small hen in the big coop - all are bantams. Julia was the bottom of the pecking order, she got her head plucked by my other cochin (non-frizzel cochin) hen. So I guess she is just trying to exert some power over the gang of 4 newbies.

Last edited:
Sooo cute!! I love the three silly ones down below! I know I will be worried sick when the time comes and mine haven't even hatched yet!! But I placed my order today...4 little chicks will be coming in a few weeks from My Pet Chicken! Yay!

I also have 6 chicks with their surogate mother my black cochin hen Stella who hatched out 3 and I then added 3 more that were 2 days younger that the 3 eggs that hatched. They are doing great bouncing around my broody coop with Stella on the watch if they need a warm spot. They are 5 Ameracuna chicks and 1 d'Uccle Mille Fleur. You can see one that is peeking out from under her wing. I have plexi glass over the hardware cloth as it has been below freezing every night.

This yellow chick is going for a "Hen back ride"

You can just see one peeking out from under her wing.

These were the frist three that she hatched the day before I put the second 3 under her.

Last edited:
I also have 6 chicks with their surogate mother my black cochin hen Stella who hatched out 3 and I then added 3 more that were 2 days younger that the 3 eggs that hatched. They are doing great bouncing around my broody coop with Stella on the watch if they need a warm spot. They are 5 Ameracuna chicks and 1 d'Uccle Mille Fleur. You can see one that is peeking out from under her wing. I have plexi glass over the hardware cloth as it has been below freezing every night.

This yellow chick is going for a "Hen back ride"

You can just see one peeking out from under her wing.

These were the frist three that she hatched the day before I put the second 3 under her.

Oh my word! That is just so cute!!

The hen is Awesome! When I picture a big, broody, mother hen...she is what comes to mind! I also LOVE her name!

Back
Top Bottom