First Night Outside (gulp)

Susanjoans

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 23, 2012
Okay. This is it. My two muscovies are sleeping out in their new coop tonight. For the past week or so I've been letting them freerange longer and longer, to the point that they have only come inside to sleep, after dark.

But I'm STILL worried about them being cold.

I hope I got the ratio of ventilation vs. draft right. And my coop is not insulated. I've filled their area with the bedding they're used to, and am putting some food and water in for tonight.

But geez, from where they've BEEN sleeping, they could hear us walking around, see us around the corner, hear the tv going. Tonight it will be quiet. And dark. (Not that dark, I've put a small light about 15' away, so that it's not PITCH black).

This is ridiculous.

At least I'm not worried about predators. Their coop is solid, and up off the ground, and will be locked, and is inside a chain link dog pen that I've been neurotic about covering with hardware cloth, poultry wire, and a partial roof.

I know this is best for them. And all of us, lol. But the worrying isn't very fun.

Thanks for listening!

Okay. This is it. My two muscovies are sleeping out in their new coop tonight. For the past week or so I've been letting them freerange longer and longer, to the point that they have only come inside to sleep, after dark.

But I'm STILL worried about them being cold.

I hope I got the ratio of ventilation vs. draft right. And my coop is not insulated. I've filled their area with the bedding they're used to, and am putting some food and water in for tonight.

But geez, from where they've BEEN sleeping, they could hear us walking around, see us around the corner, hear the tv going. Tonight it will be quiet. And dark. (Not that dark, I've put a small light about 15' away, so that it's not PITCH black).

This is ridiculous.

At least I'm not worried about predators. Their coop is solid, and up off the ground, and will be locked, and is inside a chain link dog pen that I've been neurotic about covering with hardware cloth, poultry wire, and a partial roof.

I know this is best for them. And all of us, lol. But the worrying isn't very fun.

Thanks for listening!
You didn't say how old they are? fully feathered? they will be fine they are wearing down. and are probably sound asleep while you are inside worrying about them. Why not post some pics of your coop one of these days and of course your ducks.. Oh and coming inside After dark isn't such a good idea, too many preds just waiting for dark to grab an easy meal. And
welcome-byc.gif

About 12 weeks by my count . .. yes, fully feathered. A male and female - the female is taking short flights now :)

About 12 weeks by my count . .. yes, fully feathered. A male and female - the female is taking short flights now :)
They'll be fine. but the flying could lead to losing your girl you may want to clip one wing to keep her grounded. I have Muscovies and have always clipped a wing on mine, I couldn't bear the thought of one flying off and not coming home. It does happen.

They'll be fine- sounds like you've got them locked in tight and at 12 weeks, its time to be out on their own! (I was a wreck too when I first put mine out!) Good luck with it!

She's so attached to the drake I can't imagine her going far . . . as soon as she takes her flight she runs back to him (He's HUGE - don't know that he'll ever lift off). And I couldn't imagine denying her the joy of flying. But I may wind up changing my mind . . . learning about ducks is a daily process.

It really is time for them to be on their own. They did wonder what the hell was going on, though (we had to carry them in to the coop and tuck them in).

Geez. I'll check in with ya'll in the morning. Dunno how much I'm gonna sleep. Ridiculous, I tell ya. I've raised 2 kids and countless animals, and work in the court system every day - you'd think I could handle this anxiety, lol. There's just something about those guys, though - they wiggled their tail feathers right in to my heart :)

UPDATE:

ducks did just fine. Went out this morning (waiting for sunrise, lol), and opened the coop and they looked at me like "Hey. We know you"

Decided that the ducks and chickens should free range together today - that that would be a better way to actually be in the same physical space. It was too cool. The bigger hens were nonchalant - the little guys went off to explore together, found some deliciously loose humus from the garden and proceeded to roll. Ang the female muscovy wanted to play - but Azula the drake was scared of the chickens!

The little chickens went in to the new run and coop and proceeded to make it their own. When it came time to go to bed, they wouldn't leave, so I opened up the chicken level and up they went. They're bedded down cozy and cuddled together, while the big girls are asleep in the old coop. The ducks like to hang out a little later, so I'll go out and put them to bed in a bit.

All in all, a fun, successful poultry day here on my suburban half acre :)

Gnight all!

Happy Bird Lady

UPDATE:

ducks did just fine. Went out this morning (waiting for sunrise, lol), and opened the coop and they looked at me like "Hey. We know you"

Decided that the ducks and chickens should free range together today - that that would be a better way to actually be in the same physical space. It was too cool. The bigger hens were nonchalant - the little guys went off to explore together, found some deliciously loose humus from the garden and proceeded to roll. Ang the female muscovy wanted to play - but Azula the drake was scared of the chickens!

The little chickens went in to the new run and coop and proceeded to make it their own. When it came time to go to bed, they wouldn't leave, so I opened up the chicken level and up they went. They're bedded down cozy and cuddled together, while the big girls are asleep in the old coop. The ducks like to hang out a little later, so I'll go out and put them to bed in a bit.

All in all, a fun, successful poultry day here on my suburban half acre :)

Gnight all!

Happy Bird Lady
thumbsup.gif

Glad all went well. It's always a bit stomach churning when we first turn birds out into their 'real home' for the first time. I have been fortunate that subsequent birds have been hatched here or could start off in the barn, so there was no transition period.

As ML says do keep an eye a duck 'scovie is a good flyer, but i do leave mine full flight and they stay around too but it's a risk but one has to evaluate that for themselves.

Glad all went well. It's always a bit stomach churning when we first turn birds out into their 'real home' for the first time. I have been fortunate that subsequent birds have been hatched here or could start off in the barn, so there was no transition period.

As ML says do keep an eye a duck 'scovie is a good flyer, but i do leave mine full flight and they stay around too but it's a risk but one has to evaluate that for themselves.
It's fine to leave them full flight if you don't have neighbors with dogs in their back yards, not too good if a duck flies into the neighbors back yard though.

Back
Top Bottom