First Night Outside

thomi

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 27, 2008
Elgin, SC
Well our babies were outgrowing the dog crate we moved them into after they outgrew the brooder so it was time to grit our teeth and move them outside. They will be five weeks old in just two days We worked hard yesterday to finish the coop to the point of it being liveable. A few hours before dark we brought them out to their new home with a tear in our eye. We must have checked them a dozen times and Donna even got up and went out around 3 AM to have a look!

They did just fine overnight even though the outside temperature was a little colder than forcasted. Here is picture of them late this evening.

6022_home_at_last.jpg

Here is what they looked like as I approached the door.

6022_looking_out.jpg

I swear moving them outside was harder than watching my kids move out of the house.

You guys have built a great space for them. Plenty of room, fresh shavings,water, food and even some light and heat. They will do great and will be happy in their new home.

I love to see a coop built that is safe and functional. Great work!

I'm right there with you! My babies' first night out was much harder on me than it was them.
smile.png
They did great! Although they weren't happy at first because they couldn't see me constantly.
wink.png

Thanks RH. We made it 6 'x 8' with the nest boxes sticking out the side so it should be roomy enough for our dozen girls plus they will have about a 30' x 8' or so run. Maybe we can get together sometime and talk chickens since Florence is right up I-20 from us.

WLC, last night was just a little better. We checked twice just after dark and didn't look again until this morning. I think we need a coop cam
big_smile.png

That is indeed a lovely coop! They will be nice and comfy there. Heck, *I* would be nice and comfy in there.
smile.png

Good luck, and enjoy your babies! They grow up so quickly . . .

Back
Top Bottom