First one in the brooder!

SusanW

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 25, 2012
Coupeville, WA
After our horrid chicken disaster last summer (dog killed 5 of 6) we rescued a rooster for our lonely hen. Suffice it to say, she was lonely no more. We put three consecutive eggs in the incubator, waited three days and added three more. All appear to be fertile and growing right along. (Wouldn't it be trippy if they all hatched healthy chicks - not that I'm counting.)

The first hatched out yesterday at noon after pipping almost 24 hours prior. My two girls were able to watch her chisel away at the shell and roll out in about 15 minutes.

The second pipped around 4am (yes, I was up to check on the fluffy, feisty one in the brooder) and literally popped a crack all the way around at 2pm today while I was peeking through the window. We are still waiting for that chick to make an appearance - she appears to be taking her time.

Just had to share!

~Susan

Congrats! I love the second pic, too cute! Hope the others hatch for you as well.

Last edited:
Thank you! #2 is in the brooder and #3 pipped sometime around 4am. I don't think I've ever done anything so equally stressful and exciting.

Yes! Very good. The look on my 17 and 13yo daughters' faces when they saw #1 pop out was worth it all. Even though they've seen it before, this one is theirs!

Back
Top Bottom