First Peahen egg!

arlee453

Songster
12 Years
Aug 13, 2007
near Charlotte NC
yippiechickie.gif

Got the first pea hen egg last night when I went out to check on everyone before bedtime!

I've been watching them on the webcam pretty much non-stop this week and THOUGHT I saw them mating a couple days ago. DH saw them for sure this morning, so HOPEFULLY the eggs are fertile!

I'm going to collect a few and then test incubate them. These guys can apparently hatch out solid white, purple and pied babies so it will be fun to see what we get...

Whoo hoo!
woot.gif

Got another tonight!! That makes 2!

Last edited:
You don't want those old things! Send them to me!
wink.png

Good luck with them, arlee. Peafowl are so lovely when the males strut. I am jealous!

My guinea hen started laying and we have been finding her eggs. I am collecting them and trying to check the fertility now. I have 3 in the bator.

I am sooo jealous! I want whites, pied, and black shoulder or midnight black shoulder. I'll probably start with India Blues while I learn the ropes with them. Good luck with your eggs!

Frosty, not sure if you have some reason I'm not aware of.. go ahead and get whatever color you like. They are all the same, difference only being the color and price tag is all. Spaldings and greens are whole another matter though.

Oh sure wish I could have a webcam! That would make it two peahens laying eggs. They lay an egg only every other day.

The reason is that blues are cheaper and possibly locally available. I'll get my feet wet with them, then put out the money to get what I want. The emeralds are gorgeous, but unless I provide heat they won't work in ND.

Quote:
Kev, I wondered about that. The first egg is an off-white color and the one I got today is more of a tint/pinkish color. I know with chickens that generally means it's two different hens but wasn't sure of the significance of it with peahens.

Thanks!

Ah ok, I get a lot of buyers who just think any color besides the Blues are different, some think the other colors are weaker, or needing some kind of special care or think you can't let them loose "like they can with Blues". I have to tell them no no, they are the same the only difference is the color.. many were amazed at that.

No prob arlee! Often you can tell a hen is about to lay by slightly droopy wings with sort of a bump over her hip/tail area and acting somewhat or very anxious.. constantly walking around or pacing along the wire as if she is desperately looking for something she can't find. Many hens continue to act this out even after they have settled on a particular nest. Weird but makes it easier to tell which hen probably laid which egg..

Last edited:
Congratulations on your egg! How exciting. Not to veer off topic but what is it like having peafowl? Are they super noisey? How much land do you have? I noticed on E-bay last night that these eggs demand a premium - will you sell hatching eggs or do you plan on building your flock.

Sorry for all the questions - it's just peafowl captured my imagination when I was a little girl and I have never stopped wondering about them....not that I'm thinking of getting one or anything...(OMG my kids would kill me!)
ep.gif

Thanks,

Julie

We live on a residental street in the city limits, but do have a 5 acre lot.

Having said that, the peafowl are in a fenced off corner of my dog lot - in an area about 20x30 - with deer netting over the top to keep them in. They are about 200 ft from my house, but on the wooods side of the yard. Our house, outbuilding and dog lot are all in about 2 of the 5 acres, and are closest to the neighbor side.

Their shelter is 8x10 (so I didn't have to cut much lumber...) If you can take a look at the webcam (link below) you'll see my setup.

Honestly, they aren't too noisy. When they call, it is pretty loud, but it's not constant like some roosters crowing all day long. It's like a really loud raven caw-ing. They don't wake me up, though, and my bedroom is on the end of the house closest to the pen. They do call more since it's breeding season, and will also call when startled. They hardly called out at all before spring and hormones hit. They should settle down on the noise once breeding season is over.

They wouldn't work if you are in a tight neighborhood or had a boat load of them, but I like having them and I caught my next door neighbors on their deck the other evening with binoculars watching my peacock do his dance and display.

I also recommend keeping them in a covered pen - they will fly and roost wherever they want to and you wouldn't want them wandering around if you have close neighbors or live on a busy road, etc.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom