First pip and I hear cheeping day 19/20

ScottyGill

Songster
Jun 22, 2019
Dunoon, Argyll & Bute, Scotland
It's officially day 20 at 12pm but I just noticed my first pip just now. Is this too early??:eek:

Been a little stressed about the humidity. :barnieI have maybe been looking at the wrong advice as I have just been told about covering a channel of water with foil. Other places I've seen add damp paper towels, sponges etc. I only need a tiny bit of damp sponge or paper but it has to be replaced. Oh well. It is what it is, I managed to hatch 3 lovely chicks despite using this ridiculous method last time. I've been so impressed with my incubator in every other way but not with the lack of facility to add water without opening it.

Humidity is very high in the house so hoping it will be ok but I don't predict much sleep.

Ok I'm going to go cuddle the chicks I miraculously hatched before in all my ignorance.

I have ADHD and so I know I do over focus. And it means I love these eggs already!! :hugs

Lots of lovely people,held my hand last time. Hoping I won't have to ask for too much help

Here are two of my babies, super friendly crested cream leg bars. Their sister is a black Maran/leg bar and a little more reserved. She's not so flighty either. These two are something else.

Attachments

• IMG_2194.JPG
    IMG_2194.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Yeah! They are on their way. It's always so exciting when you see the first pip. Crossing my fingers for you that the hatch goes well. I love the HDD too and though broken it is still working very well. Unfortunately I can't add water anymore, so I'll have to use a sponge or wet rag, when the time comes. My new one has a water reservoir, and a hole to fill it on the side, problem is, it is just not big enough....

I think I am turning into an incubator junkie, because I have already been eyeing the next one I want to buy...LOL

HAPPY HATCHING!! :jumpy

My two sweetie pies
20190814_135518.jpg
20190814_135717.jpg

Not to early at all. What is your humidity level? You may not need to worry much if humidity is high where you live. I learned if you keep it lower 30 to 45 ish on day 1-18 and raise it up to 55-60 one lock down hatching is a higher rate.
I kept it 30-40 no problem, it’s running at about 65-70 with a small amount of water in a lid. I am happy I’ve found a way to keep it at constant humidity as adding water was too temperamental. Using sponges didn’t work through the night so someone suggested sponge in a container and that’s working. Because they’ve are dark maran eggs and tougher than most and my air cells were quite big I’m feeling ok about this. It’s the best I can do right now.

Last edited:
I just had one hatch on day 20 also. So far it's perfectly fine. In regards to humidity levels, maybe have a look at this article. I found lots of contradicting info when doing searches, but found this article to be very helpful, and I'd what I am following.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...h-eggs-using-the-dry-incubation-method.47694/

Hi yes I've read same article so this is what I did. Apart from the don't open it for anything thing!! I found another guy who spoke to my meddling sensibilities and recommended keeping it a little higher for that reason. Though I have now found the perfect lid size to keep the humidity at 65 so will leave it at that. My I'm happy with my problem solving. Let's hope it's enough. The egg certainly hasn't had any low humidity since it pipped so I'm breathing easy for now.

It's exciting and stressful isn't it? Good luck on your hatch. My eggs are at day 19 so I'm watching for pips.
Hope you post pics when your newbies hatch!
I will. Here are The 3 I hatched a month ago. I don't think I'm as stressed as I was then but I'm also aware of what can go wrong more. Fingers crossed

Attachments

• IMG_2221.JPG
    IMG_2221.JPG
    937.1 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom