First pip of first eggs ever incubated! Need someone to talk to!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rekabnivek, Aug 2, 2011.

1. rekabnivek

rekabnivek Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    OMG! Our first egg pipped this morning and is still working on that tiny hole. How long does this take? I'm going absolutely crazy! How long before the others pip? This is day 20.[​IMG]

2. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

This is exciting not cause for tears!. Some will pip earlier some later. It may take a while for it to zip. Sit on your hands, pop some popcorn, put in a movie and enjoy! They all have their own timeline and will begin when they are ready!

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I could take up to 24 hours. Some pip and zip fast. They should hatch on day 21, so she is pipping one day early.

4. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    Congratulations!!!!
    Welcome to the "noses pressed against the bator" club.....
    It is very exciting [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. okiedrifter

okiedrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    it could go to sleep and not finish till tomorrow.....I had one pip before bedtime and not hatch before morning....I stayed up all night waiting......

6. mathesonfarm

mathesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    You'll be fine... I KNOW how addicting and nerve wracking it is to sit in front of the incubator and wait for them to hatch. When my first egg pipped, I sat there ALL NIGHT waiting for it to progress and it finally did....5:00 IN THE MORNING lol. The one that was next to it, pipped and zipped in no time. It just depends on the chicks. My family and I just hatched our first batch of chicks 2 weeks ago and we have another dozen in the bator now. They are due on the 17th. I hope you post pictures and keep us up to date with everything going on!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    I sang and talked to my ducklings [​IMG] and they seemed to speed up the process when they heard my voice. It was nerve wracking!

8. mathesonfarm

mathesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    Quote:LOL How true is that?!

9. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL! And this is exactly why I am keeping my incubator for "emergencies" only! The broodies do such a good job and I never have to worry! Terri O

10. thegibbys

thegibbys Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    The first pip is always the hardest and the longest, .....a watched pot will eventually boil however, it sure takes forever...... after the first one hatches the other will go faster because of all the noise the first one is making then every time one of the eggs hatches or makes some big progress all the hatched chicks make a big racket. that is out favorite time!!

...... it never fails, our family finally takes a break and remove our noses from the 'bator window, sit down to supper, get our plates made and start to say our blessing and the chicks go crazy and all at once we jump up and back at the window we go.

Happy Hatching!!!

The Gibby's

Dad, Mom, 4 Kids, 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 24 chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by