First Pip of First Incubation

Lindy Acres

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2022
Hello, Thanks for sharing any advice. We have our first pip on the wrong end of the egg about ten minutes ago. Do I give it a day and see how it is doing? Does the membrane look too dry? Thanks again.
Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 9.27.58 AM.png

Hello, Thanks for sharing any advice. We have our first pip on the wrong end of the egg about ten minutes ago. Do I give it a day and see how it is doing? Does the membrane look too dry? Thanks again.
View attachment 3170330
the membrane looks okay-- might be a little dry- what is the humidity reading at?
Just leave it be for now, plenty of malpositioned chicks are able to hatch on their own. There's no guaranteed safe way to intervene at the minute, because the chick could be surrounded by blood vessels and isnt in the air cell. But the chick has a large air hole there, so should be fine at the moment. Wait and see for progress. In the meanwhile, have a read of the Assisted hatching article
You may find it helpful. Best of luck to your hatcher!

I have the humidity at 82 right now. The little guy has made his hole a bit bigger and sticks his bill out peeping so he seems ok for now. I will check out the article for sure. Thank you very much!

the membrane looks okay-- might be a little dry- what is the humidity reading at?
Just leave it be for now, plenty of malpositioned chicks are able to hatch on their own. There's no guaranteed safe way to intervene at the minute, because the chick could be surrounded by blood vessels and isnt in the air cell. But the chick has a large air hole there, so should be fine at the moment. Wait and see for progress. In the meanwhile, have a read of the Assisted hatching article
You may find it helpful. Best of luck to your hatcher!

Thank you for the link.

I thought I messed up a few weeks ago by assisting a quail. According to the guide, I did it possibly too soon, but definitely too fast. I really thought I was going to lose that chick, but luckily, it survived and seems to be doing fine, although I did have to perform a little physical therapy on him to get him on his feet, vs lying on his side and just kicking.

Thank you for the link.

I thought I messed up a few weeks ago by assisting a quail. According to the guide, I did it possibly too soon, but definitely too fast. I really thought I was going to lose that chick, but luckily, it survived and seems to be doing fine, although I did have to perform a little physical therapy on him to get him on his feet, vs lying on his side and just kicking.
Assisting is very stressful, don't beat yourself up too much for making a mistake in it- it sounds like the baby is doing better now, that's good!
My assisted duckling had the same issue, no balance and almost constantly on her back kicking. It was pretty scary, but she was okay after a few hours with lots of help staying upright!

I have the humidity at 82 right now. The little guy has made his hole a bit bigger and sticks his bill out peeping so he seems ok for now. I will check out the article for sure. Thank you very much!
Okay that's good. I would reduce the humidity just slightly, aiming for about 70-75 for waterfowl eggs, or 60-65 for other poultry- are your incubators air-vents open?

Back
Top Bottom