First post, not a very happy one Duck attacked

surferjoe86

Hatching
Feb 2, 2015
Hi

Our duck (Mo) was attacked by a dog tough a steel gate. I didn't see the attack but I can only assume that Mo was grabbed trough the gate by the scruff of his neck and ragged around. When I found him he was covered in blood and not walking.

We brought him in and ran a salty bath to clean his wounds, put savlon on the open wounds.
His back was a mess -now fully healed
His legs were bad - the backs of his hocks (knee joints?) where scraped away, like 7mm of tissue loss.
Am I correct in thinking that's where his tendons are?

This was 2 weeks ago

We followed advice on keeping him warm and safe inside, He's eating and grooming. ~Pooing like a trouper

Yesterday he started to try and walk on his hocks. He can't move his legs from the hock below - even when swimming.

His legs won't straighten out. My presumption is that the tendon has been torn and that is the problem, would that be correct?

He doesn't seem to be in pain (infact I think he's quiet enjoyed himself being spoilt and sitting infront of the TV) and there's no obvious break or dislocation.

Just want to make sure were doing the right thing, been told a trip to the vets often stresses them the death, literally. I also call 2 local vets and they won't look at him.

If he were in alot of pain I would be going to the ends of the earth for a vet, But everything I've read says let them rest and it will heal.

Just want to know were doing the right thing.

Thankyou for reading
Joe

Gracious.

I think you are doing right by him. Ducks can recover from horrendous injuries. He may turn out to be special needs after this, but ducks are excellent companions.

You might consider some kind of therapy for him - a sling that would keep his feet off the floor so he can strengthen his muscles if possible. Not necessarily all the time, but for half an hour twice a day - see if that helps.

The swimming is great, Epsom salt compresses are an idea - E.s. is a laxative, so don't let him drink it.

Diet to rebuild, well balanced, with a weekly dose of poultry vitamins in the water, perhaps a few pieces of dry cat kibble a few times a week.

Such injuries can take a long time to heal. So if he is doing this well after a couple of weeks, I think that is a good sign.

Thankyou for getting back to me,

Sounds promising, He was a bit special needs before the attack. He was unsteady on his feet.But that might just be a runner duck thing.

I have made a box with a fabric sling inside and leg holes cut out so he can dangle at will. We have him on the sofa like that as it catches his projectiles... I made that last week to see if he would move them... As he sinks in the bath after 10 mins. Just soaks all the water up like a sponge. He's seem dead happy though and has a nice wash.

But worried he won't walk again. He wouldn't have a very nice life being completely disabled... I don't know if I could cope with the constant smell and washing either.

He's been trying to walk on his hocks all day so splinted them so he doesn't do any more damage... Not sure if that's the best thing to do?

His legs wont straighten, When I put a little pressure on the get the straight he looks to be in a lot of pain and pecks at me.

will try to vary his diet a little more, he's been having pellets, cucumber, meal worm.

Thanks again Joe

Here are some ideas. Repeating myself, please give him enough time - serious injuries can be overcome, and they can take time.

It would be worth the try if you are willing, to share what you try and if it seems to make any progress. I understand needing to make certain decisions.

Still, way too early to consider euthanasia, in my opinion.

Here are some things you can consider trying - Traumeel - homeopathic medicine used by athletes and others, helps muscle, bone and nerve damage. Comes in a cream. I have used it on duck leg sprains and my own. I think it works well.

Comfrey - you can make a tea, cool it, and make a compress or add it to bath water. It is folk medicine for curing bone breaks, and German studies show it promotes the growth of heathy cells.

Epsom salt - compresses. It is a laxative, so don't let him drink it.

Fresh greens - I would make sure to add some kale (maybe in a smoothie) to his diet, and just not much if any spinach, as too much of that interferes with calcium uptake.

Oh - and there is a Free Rehoming thread - someone might just want to take in a special needs duck. You never know.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom