First post, still in planning stages

DoragonMama

Songster
9 Years
Jan 31, 2014
Riverside, Ca
Hi,

We have just purchased a house in Sylmar, Ca.

I don't have chickens now but we had them when I was a little girl, I have done much reading and still feel like I know nothing.

We don't have a large yard, well the area is large but it's on a terraced slope, so placing a coop is going to be interesting but doable, there is one spot on the lower level (same as house) that is off to the side and has a large flat area for them, but it is shaded almost all day I think (I have only been there in the evenings so far).

It gets hot here in the SFV so I want chickens that tolerate heat well or will do well with a misting system.

I want at least half a dozen of them, various breeds if possible. I really like Croad Langshans and easter eggers but not sure if they are suitable for my dry, hot climate.

We are planning on turning the backyard terraces into vegetable gardens and putting raised beds in the small front yard, we are at the end of a cul de sac so we have an angled yard that requires creative planning.

I spend every day taking care of my precious granddaughter who is almost 18 months old, I am also a seamstress and I love to cook and preserve/can foods, hopefully from our future garden.

I am looking forward to teaching my grandkids all about raising chickens and growing food.

We have two small dogs and are looking for a cat to keep us humble, we also have a small tortoise named Emmy.

Happy to be here and learn so much from everybody <3

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Have browse through the Learning Center. There is a lot of great articles on things like choosing breeds, feeding and housing, predator and pest prevention and much more. For more on breeds check out the Breeds and for coop ideas have a look here. You mentioned enjoying cooking and canning, there are some canning threads in the Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes forum section that I think you'll enjoy. Good luck with the new adventure and enjoy the site!

welcome-byc.gif
if you go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum - you can locate and post on your state thread. That will put you in contact that people who live in your area. They would offer the best advice regarding breeds that can tolerate your climate.

Next head for the Learning Center for a ton of good information to get you started. You might also stop in at the Breeds forum.

So much to read, thank you for all the links.

Having grown up with an Budgie aviary in the backyard I lean towards a coop that I can walk in, I am still in the designing phase of course but after we move into our new house it is a very high priority. Which is why I am trying to get a head start on it.

I do know that I am not set up for incubating eggs so I will be buying pullets, but I don't know if I should go with a variety of birds or stick to one or two breeds.

At this point I am looking at egg layers, not meat birds. I would love them to be productive, friendly/docile and interesting to look at.

Not sure how much they will get out of my meager dirt area so feed will be important to figure out as well.

Really love all the info on this site, I don't think there is anything that can't be found here.

And the folks are very welcoming :)

I would highly recommend you look through this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/163417/please-show-me-your-hot-weather-coops

In the climate you are in, you will want an almost completely open coop, with just enough shelter to protect it from rain.

As to breeds, they are so much fun!

If it is terribly hot where you are at, the more mediterranean type breeds would be most comfortable. There are some wonderful colors in those breeds, and they tend to be great egg layers. Examples would be the White Faced Black Spanish, the Egyptian Famoyus (totally mangled that spelling), or the Leghorns. None of those breeds are snuggly, but they can be such great fun, since they tend to be very busy and active foragers. They are the breeds most likely to find every bug and grub on your hillside, and the ones most likely to eat the least pellets. They will quickly learn that you bring treats and are likely to swarm you for goodies.

If you want more sedate birds that are more likely to want to be held, you will probably need to go with heavier breeds that might not be as happy in the heat. However, with good shade, a good breeze, and maybe even misters, you should be able to keep other breeds happy too.

Back
Top Bottom