First predator Kill on my bird's

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzawkieBantams

Songster
12 Years
Sep 15, 2010
Ozawkie, KS
Well looks like I just had my first predator kill. Lost lil" #2 of my Coturnix Quail some time in the middle of the night. Appears by the track's to be a Cat. Looks like it's time for another good ole Cat killing party. Full body traps are out, and set, .22 rifle is load and ready for any and all Cat's I see
somad.gif
Neighbors will not be warned this time, as I have already done so in the past. I will post pic's of My trophies
thumbsup.gif

Moved this to the correct section for you.

People need to learn to keep THEIR animals on THEIR property is the bottom line here. I had pullets killed by a stray cat and a few large breed hens messed up a few years ago. Contrary to popular opinion domestic cats can kill chickens.

Sorry for your losses but as you know there are no licensing or containment regulations for cats. It is very hard to own a cat and be responsible unless you keep it indoors. I have warned my neighbor about their three cats on several occasions and now they only let them out at night when my girls are locked up tight. I was to the point that I was going to start shooting but they got lucky and their owners changed their ways. Don't get me wrong, I love cats, had one as a pet for 18 years, but they are nocturnal animals that should be in the house during the day, especially when your neighbors explain their dilemma.

Keep your quail locked up tight at night and ask your neighbors to keep their cats inside.

Good luck to you and your wild neighbors!

Quote:
They are locked up tight they are on my deck in a double wired cage. guessing I am gonna have to build another cage today. But that was my plan in the first place guessin the dam cat beat me to it:mad:
As i stated I will not warn anyone I have told them three times in the past I shouldn't have too tell them,b ut once
hu.gif

Sorry for your loss Daren, they make a good stand in for prairie dogs.... may want to concider the 3 S rule thou... What cat? no I aint seen no cat.... Bill

Do what yo gotta do to protect your live stock. Don't worry about the neighbors like you said you've told them three times.

First of all I'm sorry for your loss. Situations like these between neighbors can become quite heated and last for years so, unless you plan on moving in the near future and won't be living next to these folks for the next 30 yrs, you might want to step back and take a few deep breaths and think about the snapback of taking "Trophies", that might just start a lifelong feud. Now I'm not saying let your neighbors walk all over you either, what I'm trying to convey is I understand your frustration. I speak from experience on the subject of feuding neighbors and stray animals. There has to be a better solution than shooting the neighbors cat.
roll.png

I believe in keeping control of your animals don't get me wrong but cats are the one domesticated animal that you cannot keep confined to one yard unless they are kept (which needs to be done from birth) indoors. With that being said it should be a given that there will be other peoples (Not just your neighbor) cats in your yard and there should be precautions taken. I think WARNING a neighbor to keep their cat out of your yard because you have birds is unrealistic and is bound for confrontation.

My solution would be to "Fort Knox" your coop/cages where there is no question in your mind that YOUR birds are safe no matter what wanders into your yard.

Just my humble opinion.
idunno.gif

Quote:
I say to heck with my neighbors. If the dont like me shooting their cat then keep it on a leash I have too for my dog so why should a cat be any different. These birds were on MY DECK NOT THEIR YARD
somad.gif

From the rules:
1. Remember, this is a family board: no swearing / foul language and no inappropriate "Adult" topics.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for your loss. It's a sad and tough situation. On one hand, you want to get along with your neighbors, but on the other hand, you can't just let their cats kill your birds. You should be able to raise your birds whatever way you want to in your own yard without the neighbor's pet killing them.

I used to own outdoor cats because I had allergies. Yes, it's extremely hard to control them. But, I don't see why your neighbors can't build an outdoor enclosure for their outdoor cats the same way people build enclosures for their birds. Many owners might argue that they have to let their cats roam so that they can catch mice. But, I think I saw a study showing that cats really don't do much for controlling the mice population, overall.

Before I started liking birds, I was a big cat person. Someone telling me to keep my cats inside, etc., would have no effect at all on me. But, maybe, hinting that there's people in the area that will kill cats on site to protect their birds might sink in. You don't have to say that you are one of them, but subtly tell them that there are some people that will do anything to protect their livestock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom