First Processing With New EZ Plucker

LilyD

Crowing
12 Years
Jan 24, 2011
Bristol, VT
My Coop
My Coop
So we did our trial run with only 3 birds this morning after getting new kill cones and the EZ Plucker 131. I have to say I am so ecstatically happy with how it worked. We had a few setup issues because we needed a male to male hose extender to attach to the waterer inside the plucker. Once we made that though everything went smoothly and we were done in under an hour. Tomorrow we do another 30 birds and will do the rest on Sunday but boy is it nice to have the rest of the day to do other things. I do think I need to order 3 more kill cones because doing 6 at a time rather than 3 would be better. Other than that I am loving it. I will take pictures tomorrow once everything is set up for more birds.

Processed another 31 birds today starting at 8:30 and was done by 2:50. Had some issues with the cones popping off so we had to add some washers to the screws holding the cones up then everything was okay with that. Also had some issues with the plucker not plucking the birds all the way and leaving lots of feathers on and a few birds that came out with broken legs and wings. Not sure how to help with the broken bones issue, but I don't think it's the plucker so much as my water temp dropping just a bit and the birds not getting hot enough. I found that it has to be between 145 and 150. Over 150 and you cook the bird under 145 and you don't get the bird hot enough. I have another 33 still to do once they get big enough so we will get some more time to practice.

Back
Top Bottom