First prolapse vent issue

I have never been so pleased to see poop of any kind but we have three poops, not perfect poop, a little runny but it is poop and not just liquid, and she is eating with some vigor. One more day in the chicken hospital just to be sure and then back outside.

If her vent is still prolapsing, you might want to be careful about putting her outside with the rest of your flock. Sometimes other chickens will peck at a prolapse and that can be deadly. I had a bantam cochin with a prolapsed vent. It took about three months, but it finally resolved. Twice a day I washed her vent with some warm water, sprayed it with Vetericyn Hydrogel, then put hemorrhoid ointment on the area (reduces the swelling in the tissue). She even occasionally layed an egg inspite of the prolapse. She kept eating and drinking, but I did add electrolytes to her water and brewer's yeast as a supplement to her feed. After three months it was fine. That was in late January and she has been laying eggs ever since, with no prolapse or problems!

I appreciate you sharing your experience, it is helpful to learn how others have dealt with the challenges of raising chickens. Having spent the last 6 days caring for this bird and reading posts on this forum, I don't think I was correct on my original post calling the condition a prolapse. I think my bird was sick with runny poop and had a blocked vent causing her to struggle and strain in a way that looked to me like a prolapse. We are now 4 full days with no straining and a perfect looking vent and progressively more solid and frequent poop. The biird is eating drinking and is getting very pushy. I plan to put her in the coop at bedtime (dusk) and will monitor closely for any bullying or pecking.

Yes, I did and have been treating the entire flock. The bird is back out with the flock and all seems well.

Just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone here:

2 weeks ago one of our year old hybrid hens had a prolapsed vent - most advice was to cull her to prevent other birds from pecking and eventually killing her

However, I worked on the assumption that I wouldn't want to be culled myself just because something had come adrift - also that neither myself or my partner could bring ourselves to do it!

I followed advice on here and put her in a rabbit hutch on reduced rations (corn and water), bathed her twice a day in salt water with a little disinfectant and covered the area in honey

Then I felt mean keeping her in solitary confinement so let her wander around the garden (half hoping that a cat would take her)

Exactly 1 week later the prolapse popped itself back in and she immediately perked up and took a dustbath - she is now back in the coop with her sisters/friends and all seems well

Again, many thanks from myself and the chicks here in Hampshire, UK

Back
Top Bottom