First quilt block swap 2016

I watch Fons and Porter this past weekend and they mentioned they starched their fabric. Does anyone here use starch on their pieces?
Yes but no longer the small cut pieces. I iron and starch the material before cutting. Not always but frequently. I avoid ironing, starching and steaming cut pieces as it causes distortion. To starch lay out the large piece of material, spray lightly with starch, maybe a bit more on creases, let it sit and let starch dry if it got a little too wet, and gently press iron. Do not push and pull the iron around too much. It is more a lift and press motion.

When I sew pieces together I either finger press or gently press but not iron to set the seam and press it to one side.

Yes but no longer the small cut pieces. I iron and starch the material before cutting. Not always but frequently. I avoid ironing, starching and steaming cut pieces as it causes distortion. To starch lay out the large piece of material, spray lightly with starch, maybe a bit more on creases, let it sit and let starch dry if it got a little too wet, and gently press iron. Do not push and pull the iron around too much. It is more a lift and press motion.

When I sew pieces together I either finger press or gently press but not iron to set the seam and press it to one side.
Hmmm! I didn't know that! I always press my fabric and also the cut pieces. Maybe that is why I have issues with my squares. I won't iron the rest of the blocks I'm doing and see if it makes a diff. Do you wash your fabric? I was told that you don't need to wash fabric. I used to always wash it. Some of the fabric in this quilt was washed because I've had it for a while. Mayb

Last edited:
Hmmm! I didn't know that! I always press my fabric and also the cut pieces. Maybe that is why I have issues with my squares. I won't iron the rest of the blocks I'm doing and see if it makes a diff. Do you wash your fabric? I was told that you don't need to wash fabric. I used to always wash it. Some of the fabric in this quilt was washed because I've had it for a while. Mayb
I don't wash my fabrics, in the days gone by when the fabric was not preshrunk it needed to be prewashed but now with the fabric the way it is it really doesn't need to be, but some on here do, it depends on if I do or not if I think the fabric will bleed then I do, I wouldn't want it to bleed all over our hard work.

I don't wash my fabrics, in the days gone by when the fabric was not preshrunk it needed to be prewashed but now with the fabric the way it is it really doesn't need to be, but some on here do, it depends on if I do or not if I think the fabric will bleed then I do, I wouldn't want it to bleed all over our hard work.
Nope I seldom prewash but I might give it a good starching, steaming and setting with a hot iron before cutting. This would take care of any major shrinking I think. I also like to wash my quilts and give them that puckered look. I am much happier not washing all that fabric.
tongue.png

Nope I seldom prewash but I might give it a good starching, steaming and setting with a hot iron before cutting. This would take care of any major shrinking I think. I also like to wash my quilts and give them that puckered look. I am much happier not washing all that fabric.
tongue.png
I do iron my fabric before cutting I just use the steam setting and I also wash my quilts before giving them away I too like the puckered look. Yes if you was the fabric before it is sewed you get strings from haydes.

My blocks are finished! I took a picture of just one version of what I will be sending. The picture is a little hard to tell but the background of the fabric is a charcoal gray. Hopefully, they will be sent out by the end of the week
smile.png

My blocks are finished! I took a picture of just one version of what I will be sending. The picture is a little hard to tell but the background of the fabric is a charcoal gray. Hopefully, they will be sent out by the end of the week
smile.png

Love the color way on this block. Charcoal gray sounds nice.

smile.png

wow so pretty, I can't wait to see all the blocks everyone sends.

I always wash my fabric, l just put it in the machine with the clothes . Having owned a quilt shop I know that there is always the exception to the rule so it is better to be safe than sorry! And the colour most likely to bleed? No not red but blue!
I am having an unexpected short break in Scotland as my husband is being paid to give an after dinner speech tonight and we had volunteers to look after the kids.i will try and get my blocks made next week!

Back
Top Bottom