First real crowing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cjstanman, Nov 24, 2008.

1. cjstanman

cjstanman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Just north of Raleigh
    My BRs are 14 weeks old and I heard my first honest-to-god "cockadoodle-doo!" this morning. The boys have been honking like geese which was just hysterical, but I think they've got it figured out now! [​IMG]

2. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    Congrats! I love it when the first start! They sound like broken car horns! Too cute. [​IMG]!

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Speach impediments! I love to hear the rooster crow any time of day! Congrats!!! I "envy" YOU! Keep it up boys!

4. c.wilson

c.wilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2008
    i love hearing roosters first crow...its always hilarious no matter what the breed...especially the tiny banties

5. greenapple

greenapple Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Central Florida
    I have two banty cochin rooster that started crowing at 5 weeks old, my banty cornish roos are starting now at 7 weeks old

6. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Awww congrats! I love the honking too, but first crows are pretty funny [​IMG]

7. coolchickens

coolchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, I'm STILL waiting for my standard Cochin roos. to crow and he is 6 1/2 mos. old now. He appears to be a fully mature male now by looking at him but he still does not crow nor try to mess with the girls. I was given a large blu Cochin roo. when this little guy was about 4 mos. old and the larger roos. is nice to him, no fighting, but I'm thinking maybe my young roos. doesn't know he's a "he" yet. When do they start crowing?

8. Moriah

Moriah Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2008
    Springfield Colorado
    I have all EE's and about 5 or 6 roos, all 12 weeks. Three of them are fully crowing now, all times day and night.

When they first started attempting to crow, I got a scare one morning. I got up at 5 to get ready for work and heard this god-awful noise coming from outside. My husband wound up getting up and went out to see what was going on, as it really sounded like one of the birds was being hurt. He came in and said I wouldn't believe what had happened, and of course I start thinking the worst and he says, "one of the boys is trying to crow". He then started laughing. It really did sound like someone was trying to kill the poor thing.

9. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    I have a 18 week old BR cockerel........ still no crowing!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2008
  10. jjackm21911

jjackm21911 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    rising sun maryland
    congragulations you will enjoy it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by