first rooster sounds?

golddustmommy

Songster
Jun 14, 2017
MA
I have an audio file of one of my chicks making a funny noise, but I can't figure out how to upload it from my phone. They are only between 5 and 6 weeks old, and I know they don't usually crow til a minimum of 10 weeks. But the rest are still chirping while the one is doing more of a squawk. Is it possible to have a pullet squawk?
Also, any help figuring out how to upload audio files (or really anything from my phone) would be highly appreciated lol

I have no clue how to upload anything but a photo.

If you posted a photo it might help to tell if it's a pullet or rooster as generally those combs start to get pink and big at 5-6 weeks. A sudden squawking could be an attempt at a crow.

I have no clue how to upload anything but a photo.

If you posted a photo it might help to tell if it's a pullet or rooster as generally those combs start to get pink and big at 5-6 weeks. A sudden squawking could be an attempt at a crow.

The lack of comb and wattle is the only thing that has kept me from saying definite roo.... This is the most recent pic I have, though it's not a very good one. It was taken today though. Sheriff is the one in the back. barely any comb, and wattle is practically nonexistent. she/he is a jersey giant. The front one is Nugget, who FINALLY got feathers and is becoming very pretty... though I am worried about how dark the comb has gotten. Which you can't see in this picture because it isn't raised at all.
19780380_1113216605477050_8330698954182148550_o.jpg

Last edited:
For reference, this GJ (also in back, named Alex) is the same age and has a much more defined comb, and a little more wattle. The one in front is Meg, whose comb is the reddest out of all of them. both of these guys I figured were boys. neither like people much, and have a lot of attitude. And Alex's tail feathers seem to be far more developed than all the others. 19250644_1113215268810517_7777738209405582430_o.jpg

I won't guess on the sexes but my rooster (left in photo) started trying to crow at around 4 weeks. Sounded a bit like a squeaky toy. I uploaded my video on youtube then had to post the link. Only way I know how to do so. When you get it on youtube then click the film icon by the photo icon.

Meg is looking rooster, the Jersey giant might need a few more weeks. Mine are 6 weeks, so I'm picking out the roosters in my group too. A few I believe to be roosters, need a few more weeks. Bigger breeds mature slower.

I won't guess on the sexes but my rooster (left in photo) started trying to crow at around 4 weeks. Sounded a bit like a squeaky toy. I uploaded my video on youtube then had to post the link. Only way I know how to do so. When you get it on youtube then click the film icon by the photo icon.

the noise is definitely not that crow sounding. it's kind of a gruff squawk. lol and it's only one syllable.

I have an audio file of one of my chicks making a funny noise, but I can't figure out how to upload it from my phone. They are only between 5 and 6 weeks old, and I know they don't usually crow til a minimum of 10 weeks. But the rest are still chirping while the one is doing more of a squawk. Is it possible to have a pullet squawk?
Also, any help figuring out how to upload audio files (or really anything from my phone) would be highly appreciated lol
Upload it as a video with sound.

That's a totally adorable crow.

Back
Top Bottom