1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First rooster's first crowing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JMidJr, Jan 22, 2012.

1. JMidJr

JMidJr Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    North Central Florida
    My Speckled Sussex cockerel is 19 weeks old and for the first time today began crowing. I suspect his technique will improve with practice. [​IMG] Hopefully his SS siblings, EEs, and Doms will begin laying before too much longer. One Dom hen's comb and face are red now, and the other Dom and both SS pullets' are getting darker pink every day. Only one EE has developed any pink in face and comb, but I understand they may be a bit slower maturing. Patience is a virtue; not one of mine but a virtue nonetheless.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/jmidjr/49b57d04.mp4

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I love the novice crowers!

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Those endearing first attempts sound sort of like someone gargling or clearing their throat.

I have a speckled sussex pullet who has been laying for a few weeks now. The other day she began making the loudest, most tortured sounding noise! By the third morning of this, I've decided she's trying to crow. The "boks" get louder and higher and closer together and end in a long, tapered, wheezing "eeeeeeh!"

She has adopted this as her morning ritual along with the two roos crowing their real crows.

4. JMidJr

JMidJr Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    North Central Florida
    I tried to play a trumpet once. Not unlike this cockerel! (ok, he's probably better than I was.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by