First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by JessicaThistle, Jun 10, 2014.

1. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I think you're painting with a pretty broad brush to say that all hybrids are prone to health issues. Technically, any first generation barnyard mix is a hybrid. IMO, those hybrids have the advantage of "hybrid vigor" and may be better layers, have better health, and live longer than either of their parents which are of a specific breed. The term "hybrid vigor" comes from the deliberate or not so deliberate mixing of breeds or in the case of plants, varieties. Often producing a mutt with superior health and productivitiy. Yes, the super layers and super meat birds are prone to problems. I agree with that.

2. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Ralph. Seriously. I had to wipe the tears from my eyes to read through the whole saga.

I hope tomorrow lends to better squirrel war games.

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I Think the war I need to worry about is not the squirrel war but the spousal war. Women are evil!

4. mountain mom

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    [​IMG] MAAAYYYYBEEEE...
    We just like to keep things fun. I love that your wife taunts you. I do the same.

Squirrels are really your first threat.. we just like to take advantage of an opportunity when it is presented.

You know you do the same thing. This is how we coexist.

Oh, so as I was cracking up reading your squirrel saga, my hubby asked, "what is so funny?"
    So I read the Godzilla excerpt. We happen to have a bearded dragon named Godzilla....
    He expanded on it and I found it less than funny. He said, "since you laughed, I thought you were condoning making fun of you in the morning..."

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  5. dpenning

dpenning Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Blue Ridge, TX
    When I first met my husband we were on a motorcycle trip with the same group of people. By the 3rd day people at one of the places we were stopped thought we were a married couple because of the way we were harassing and teasing each other. It was pretty funny. Sometimes I get looks of sympathy in the grocery store when my DH says things that sound somewhat rude, but I get it.

1 person likes this.
  6. mountain mom

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    I get looks of sympathy all the time!

7. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

My wife claims she does too, I tell her it is only because people do not know how truly horrible I have it.

1 person likes this.
  8. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Quote:No disagreement there. I love the hybrid birds. And we pay extra for the special mix. They do provide more eggs and vigor than regular birds. But they will only last a couple of years. Totally different from barnyard mixtures. Their quality will go down after several years of mixing. The amount of eggs produced will lessen. That's the reason so many people wanted pure bred birds back 100 years ago. I have no problem with raising my own hybrids. A New Hampshire over a Delaware or Coronation Sussex will give me some fine hybrids. Just keep the pure birds to breed them from.

9. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Quote:I have a buddy on the La Peep thread that has started his own website selling EE eggs. He Just mentioned that he has bought a really good Dom cock and will be getting good eggs soon. I think I want some. The hatchery birds can't compare.

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    This year's chicks will all be sired by a lovely EE boy. I'll be getting some walnut combed, green egg laying, black sex linked pullets from him over my Dom and SLW girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by