First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Ralph, I am sorry to hear of your "baby". I think Bert's gal that is left needs a name. She will be happier.

Jessica- Fingers crossed for 300 eggs today!

So, yesterday, while taking a break from all the cutting and gluing to make perfect valentines, I went outside to watch the girls for a bit.
I was greeted with a hilarious sight.
The dog was down by the coop, laying in the sun, chewing on his bone. Well, more like guarding his bone. He was likely chewing it at some point before.
There were 5 chickens ganging up on him to try and steal his bone! While watching this amusing act, I must have laughed too loud because the chickens heard me.
Their heads popped up, they turned and all ran towards me, expecting treats. 5 chickens running at you, full speed ahead, is something so funny, it needs its own word.
Pearl was not part of the bone stealing gang, but once the dog and chickens were gone... she moved right in and was pecking at the bone. Sly, sweet chicken.

All interesting.

And from this I have one question, how and with what do you wash eggs?

Is this a requirement for selling them in Oregon?

The bloom does not make a difference to your customers?

BTW I only have one CX pullet left and Bert.
Because I sell in stores, the eggs have to be clean. This does not mean that they have to be scrubbed. If they are visibly clean than they pass. But unfortunately, most of the eggs are dirty. They have to be rinsed clean in hot water and sanitized with a very dilute bleach solution. I don't particularly like this because I prefer the natural bloom of the eggs doing it's job. However, no one would buy my eggs if I stuck them in cartons in their state.

If the farm wasn't so far from our home, we would be able to clean the nests more often but it just isn't feasible for us right now with it being so far away. The previous owner had allowed roosting in the nests, which makes them a huge mess. We are working on breaking that bad habit. Luckily, there are only a few stubborn old hens that won't change their ways. It is much improved over what we started with. When we move the girls to pasture our main goal is going to be clean eggs directly from the nests.

Because I sell in stores, the eggs have to be clean. This does not mean that they have to be scrubbed. If they are visibly clean than they pass. But unfortunately, most of the eggs are dirty. They have to be rinsed clean in hot water and sanitized with a very dilute bleach solution. I don't particularly like this because I prefer the natural bloom of the eggs doing it's job. However, no one would buy my eggs if I stuck them in cartons in their state.

If the farm wasn't so far from our home, we would be able to clean the nests more often but it just isn't feasible for us right now with it being so far away. The previous owner had allowed roosting in the nests, which makes them a huge mess. We are working on breaking that bad habit. Luckily, there are only a few stubborn old hens that won't change their ways. It is much improved over what we started with. When we move the girls to pasture our main goal is going to be clean eggs directly from the nests.

Thanks,

Here in Minnesota to sell eggs like you do, they need to be washed in bleach and candled. Graded and sized and you have to be a certified egg grader. All an attempt, successfully done, to make it hard for a small chicken flock owner to sell his eggs. If the big egg companies had their way they would even stop the little sales I do.

I wish we could bring the eggs to a store or whole food market and sell them wholesale but eggs like mine can not be resold. I tried to give eggs to the food shelf and they said they could not hand them out, it is sad. The people that run the feed store I use have their own chickens, and were selling there eggs at the feed store and the health dept shut them down.

Last edited:
Thanks,

Here in Minnesota to sell eggs like you do, they need to be washed in bleach and candled. Graded and sized and you have to be a certified egg grader. All an attempt, successfully done, to make it hard for a small chicken flock owner to sell his eggs. If the big egg companies had their way they would even stop the little sales I do.

I wish we could bring the eggs to a store or whole food market and sell them wholesale but eggs like mine can not be resold. I tried to give eggs to the food shelf and they said they could not hand them out, it is sad. The people that run the feed store I use have their own chickens, and were selling there eggs at the feed store and the health dept shut them down.
Yes, here we wash and candle. You have to have a special egg washing room and an Egg Handlers permit. Grading isn't required for farm fresh as long as the size, shape and shell appear "mostly normal". We sometimes get ridged egg shells but we still put them in because they look so cool.

I think Minnesota is stricter than here. OR doesn't mind if people do things as long as they get paid for the permit and their cut of the taxes you know.

The big companies want everyone to be forced to purchase their products. I do have to say though that the West coast does seem to support smaller business more than elsewhere. I read articles often from other areas about the big corporations trying to stop small producers. Oregon has so many small family owned producers of products though that it would be hard for big guys to fight us all.

Minnesota is strict. We try and sell locally and not put ads on the internet. That way we can keep doing what we do and not be shut down like most places.

Yes, here we wash and candle. You have to have a special egg washing room and an Egg Handlers permit. Grading isn't required for farm fresh as long as the size, shape and shell appear "mostly normal". We sometimes get ridged egg shells but we still put them in because they look so cool.

I think Minnesota is stricter than here. OR doesn't mind if people do things as long as they get paid for the permit and their cut of the taxes you know.

The big companies want everyone to be forced to purchase their products. I do have to say though that the West coast does seem to support smaller business more than elsewhere. I read articles often from other areas about the big corporations trying to stop small producers. Oregon has so many small family owned producers of products though that it would be hard for big guys to fight us all.

I think you got it, besides if a politician makes a rule limiting competition, whether it really does or not, can get a big donation.

Come on gang,,,Drink up!

I am having a terribe day, my chickens are doing fine, as are the other birds.... I am tired of fixing the etters that do not print on this laptop. So you wil al have to add the required letters yourself, they are mainly Ls

My back hurts, from an old helicopter accident. ( I prefer to call it a hard landing and not an accident, as I meant to land were I did, just not as fast as I did.)

It is stil 5 below here at neary 1pm. The wind is blowing at 30 mph constantly.

I have taken a couple flexerals and ultrams, the day should get better soon. Bert seemed happy today, I still need a name for Mrs Bert. It is so cold the guineas have not eft the coop in two days. They are in the rafters yeling at me when I feed them. I can see by the tracks in the snow in the covered run that have not been outside.

Chickens went out ok, but were not happy with it, I bet they are back inside by now.

I am getting 2 roosters tomorrow. We wi see how adding two adult birds goes.

I added some Ls because you woud have never guessed the words otherwise... See ya soon, I hope

Come on gang,,,Drink up!

I am having a terribe day, my chickens are doing fine, as are the other birds.... I am tired of fixing the etters that do not print on this laptop. So you wil al have to add the required letters yourself, they are mainly Ls

My back hurts, from an old helicopter accident. ( I prefer to call it a hard landing and not an accident, as I meant to land were I did, just not as fast as I did.)

It is stil 5 below here at neary 1pm. The wind is blowing at 30 mph constantly.

I have taken a couple flexerals and ultrams, the day should get better soon. Bert seemed happy today, I still need a name for Mrs Bert. It is so cold the guineas have not eft the coop in two days. They are in the rafters yeling at me when I feed them. I can see by the tracks in the snow in the covered run that have not been outside.

Chickens went out ok, but were not happy with it, I bet they are back inside by now.

I am getting 2 roosters tomorrow. We wi see how adding two adult birds goes.

I added some Ls because you woud have never guessed the words otherwise... See ya soon, I hope
Ouch, sorry about your pain. What is the old joke, any landing you walk away from is a good landing, one where you can still use the equipment is a great landing! hubs and I have looked at flying lessons for helicopters. I prefer powered hang gliders myself and he couldn't pass the medical so I'm off the hook.

Move south! maybe if you work on the mrs during the coldest months she will see the wisdom of being a snow bird, fla in the winter, mn in the summer. Although I don't know how you could keep birds that way. You would need a semi to move the birds back and forth twice a year. :) It is 72* and sunny today in N Texas, but will be cold and moist tomorrow. By cold I mean 42*.....

Don't wash down your meds with any of those Mikes drinks. ;)

Ouch, sorry about your pain. What is the old joke, any landing you walk away from is a good landing, one where you can still use the equipment is a great landing! hubs and I have looked at flying lessons for helicopters. I prefer powered hang gliders myself and he couldn't pass the medical so I'm off the hook.

Move south! maybe if you work on the mrs during the coldest months she will see the wisdom of being a snow bird, fla in the winter, mn in the summer. Although I don't know how you could keep birds that way. You would need a semi to move the birds back and forth twice a year. :) It is 72* and sunny today in N Texas, but will be cold and moist tomorrow. By cold I mean 42*.....

Don't wash down your meds with any of those Mikes drinks. ;)

Your Evil!

I just got a MIkes from the fridge. But it has been a few hours now, and I have awoken from the drug induced nap. I walked away and the copter flew again, after a multi-day rest in the shop. However, it was a government owned helicopter and to they spare no expense to rebuilt things that break.

Snowbird is out of the question, my wife is a coupe years younger than me and needs Insurance. Besides giving up my birds would be too big a cost to pay. They are my babies.

I have never flown in motorized awn chairs and have no desire to do so, Just as I have never seen the wisdom of jumping from a perfectly good aircraft.

42 degrees would be a heat wave,

BTW The Mikes is tasting so good, I found a new favorite Flavor. I liked the cranberry and because it is cranberry it is good for the kidneys. Now I am on a black Cherry kick, I am not sure what back cherries are good for. Driving will be out of the question now. I guess DW will have to be my chauffer.

Your Evil!

I just got a MIkes from the fridge. But it has been a few hours now, and I have awoken from the drug induced nap. I walked away and the copter flew again, after a multi-day rest in the shop. However, it was a government owned helicopter and to they spare no expense to rebuilt things that break.

Snowbird is out of the question, my wife is a coupe years younger than me and needs Insurance. Besides giving up my birds would be too big a cost to pay. They are my babies.

I have never flown in motorized awn chairs and have no desire to do so, Just as I have never seen the wisdom of jumping from a perfectly good aircraft.

42 degrees would be a heat wave,

BTW The Mikes is tasting so good, I found a new favorite Flavor. I liked the cranberry and because it is cranberry it is good for the kidneys. Now I am on a black Cherry kick, I am not sure what back cherries are good for. Driving will be out of the question now. I guess DW will have to be my chauffer.

I'm certain black cherries are high in antioxidants. :)

Back
Top Bottom