First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Jessica I am so sorry. I wish I was there with a cocktail and a hug! I am an excellent sympathetic crier. Losing pets can be so hard, as we so often truly make them members of the family. I am so glad you were able to talk to him one last time and give him some love. I would venture to say, he was holding on until he saw you again.

As far as the first part of your post, happy anniversary! Glad you were able to sneak away for some much needed sleep!
I remember when my husband and I had our first night away after our daughter was born. We imagined we would go out and party all night like the old days.... nope. Dinner and a cocktail then ZZZZZZ.

MM It gets more romantic.

A romantic lovers night for us is crawling into bed at the same time. On the risqué nights, I will pat her on the backside and say "luv ya" and she will grunt back from a near sleep condition 'uh-huh"

Then we both fall asleep.

OLD AGE< I forgot to tell you all what I was going to post...

I am saving eggs for hatching, picking out the ones I want. I am picking all the porcelain ones I can. I am even going to try the one that might have frozen.

Did I mention I got two new roosters "Ed and Ole"........ my mind is going almost as fast as my body.

And I forgot to mention, I am making the girls a special treat this morning, Scrambled eggs with shells!! Yummy

I have had about a dozen frozen cracked eggs in the last few days, time to give them back.

Last edited:
Quote:
Sweetie, I'm so sorry. They do have a tug on your heart. Our English Lab that we inherited a year ago is about 10 yo. A couple of months ago we had to have a big lump taken off his toe. Later the toe was removed. Now a huge lump on the one beside it. sigh. It's coming. Sweet big ol' lug. Friendliest ever. Not too cold today but raining so I'll do my chores quickly. ha Going to the surgeon tomorrow for the 1st visit. That's a BIG sigh.

Ahhh, romance at its finest.

Ed and Ole! You had mentioned you were getting to EE roos, but nothing about them since. How are they doing? Adjusting well? Good manners?

I was just perusing craigslist... always a dumb idea. I have myself convinced to buy a million chickens. Really, we have plenty of space. But the safely fenced part, the "yard" is where we have the ladies roaming now. There is an entire acre behind where they are, but it is not fenced for chickens, just a larger creature like a horse or a goat. And the ravine is home to a fox family. Speaking of, I have not seen them in a while. Like months. Hmm...
I digress.
So the yard is where the ladies roam during the days they decide to grace us with their presence. There is a lot of poo. Even with the abundant help of the dog.
The poo makes my DH say, "no more chickens!"
BUT, in the summer, you don't notice the poo because of the "grass". And, I have successfully trained them to stay off the deck. Chickens are pretty smart. I don't care what some say.
Anyhow, all of that was to say, I found some Orloff chicks. I have wanted them from the start. I also think I found some cream legbars... I have to hear back, but it looks like them to me. I have a feeling my flock will be growing from 8 to 12 shortly... then again when I get my turkey eggs!!! And then again when I get my meaties.

Cream egg bar eggs for turkey eggs!!

What a deal.

Ed is a EE with an interesting history, he was suppose to be a Auracuana (spelling) The blue egg layers, the guy I got him from says he is not one. He was suppose to be a pullet, he is not one. So he could be a blue egg layer or Green or brown or white. no idea what I will get. BUT he is HUGE and pretty, pictures to come. soon

The other one is a partridge chanticleer, he is smaller and cocky. He started crowing within 5 minutes of being in the van. My DW named them, when I asked why he was Ole and the other Ed, she said " Because everyone knows Ed is smarter than Ole, and his crowing proves he is dumb. I am thinking after 2 hours in the van with him crowing she was getting ticked off at him.....

Thank you all. Weird to wake up this morning and not have to holler at scooter to not go in the street or get irritated with him that he wandered into the neighbor's yard. I will miss him anyway, even though he was sometimes a real stinker.

Of course, life does not give me any breaks and it will be full steam ahead today. Ugh!

CORRECTION

I think I made an error when describing Ed and Ole. Ole is the EE. I think.

Here are their pictures, Ed is the big dark one, Ole is the little lighter one;

I will get better quality pictures in the future, they were spooky today.

Back
Top Bottom