First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

It is official the CX pullet committed suicide!

I caught Bert cavorting with the white rock today.  A EE'er ran out of Bert's coop, I am assuming because of what she a party too when I walked in. Then behind a bucket and along side the feed sacks I saw Bert with the white rock. The white rock looked up at me with a very guilty expression on her face.

I have seen those two in Bert's coop a lot in the last few weeks, I am wondering now what they were up to, I thought it was innocent visiting, I am now starting to wonder. That would explain Mrs Bert being distraught and depressed before her tragic death. 
Keep their eggs. You could get a giant EE !

Last night our injured Narragansett hen passed away. At least we got the blue slate hen still right? Nope a stinkin' owl killed her, I am very sad so now we have to get more hens. So we had a turkey funeral thing with our grieving tom. We burnt the bodies

Quote:
Are you sure this didn't come out of the columns of National Enquirer? Sounds like something I've read before. ha Woohoo!!!! Got my first Blosl pullet egg. Just in time for my surgery!!! I'm gonna wait her out and after I get up and around I'm hatching EVERYTHING!!!

Last edited:
Last night our injured Narragansett hen passed away. At least we got the blue slate hen still right? Nope a stinkin' owl killed her, I am very sad so now we have to get more hens. So we had a turkey funeral thing with our grieving tom. We burnt the bodies

I am so sorry to hear this. Losing a turkey is always hard. Losing one just before egg laying season is a tragedy. Losing two is beyond words,
My Condolences, It is a hard time of the year hoping our birds stay alive until spring.

Good Luck finding another.

I know it has not been that long since my last post, but things have changed.

I moved Bert into the "screened area" adjoining the main coop. He was not really happy with the move but I did not want him alone tonight. It is getting chilly tonight it has barely cracked zero a day. When I went to move Bert he had company, the white rock, whom I suspect of being a painted lady was there along with 4 turkeys, the Delaware and a red sex link. All the birds left when I carried Bert out except the white rock.

I collected eggs, carried water, and got Bert set up, and she stayed in Berts coop. I know this is weird but I think they are friends, I am thinking of putting her into the screened area with Bert.

I would put Bert in the regular coop, but I am not sure how the other two roosters would greet him. I see them together outside, but that is not like sharing a coop.

I am thinking I will move Ed and Ole into Bert's old coop in the next couple days if it gets above zero. They would be adjoining the guineas, but after a few days I might let them share the covered run with the guineas.

I am pretty sure Ed would beat the guineas if they get rough, not so sure of Ole. After a few days next to each other they should get along fine. I hope in a few days to get Bert in with the other birds. I will have to watch the interaction, I do not want Bert hurt.

Thoughts, again?

I am so sorry to hear this. Losing a turkey is always hard. Losing one just before egg laying season is a tragedy. Losing two is beyond words,
My Condolences, It is a hard time of the year hoping our birds stay alive until spring.

Good Luck finding another.

It is hard to lose them. The blue slate only layed two eggs before she died.

I am sorry to here about you losing your cornishX girls.

It is official the CX pullet committed suicide!

I caught Bert cavorting with the white rock today. A EE'er ran out of Bert's coop, I am assuming because of what she a party too when I walked in. Then behind a bucket and along side the feed sacks I saw Bert with the white rock. The white rock looked up at me with a very guilty expression on her face.

I have seen those two in Bert's coop a lot in the last few weeks, I am wondering now what they were up to, I thought it was innocent visiting, I am now starting to wonder. That would explain Mrs Bert being distraught and depressed before her tragic death.

Chicken adultery....you really need to write a book!

The weather channel app says it is 23 below right now, which is not too bad, except it is mid February and suppose to be starting to feel spring like. Of course the wind chill factor is making it fee worse at -33.

LInda, Fix up a room, Bert and I are moving in! I am willing to put up with your alligators, snakes and mosquitoes now.

It is still dark so I cannot read my thermometer and I am afraid too, it is always colder here than the app says.

Last edited:
Do you have the eggs to incubate them by chance?

If I had even one egg from my girls I would try to hatch it.

No they weren't fertilized at the time.

Well our tom is heart broken, He wont even strut.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom