First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Exciting day at the homestead today. I opened the human door to the coop so Bert could go outside, Instead the white rock went inside to snuggle with Bert. I will see how it goes later, I left the door open so I have chickens in and out of the area normally off limits to them. They are happy. Hopefully Bert and the other roosters get along, They always have in the past.

I opened the prison yard gate for the Guineas. They are so stupid! They are now standing inside the prison yard looking at the open gate having a loud noisy argument over whether they should go out it or not, I am hoping they will go back inside tonight.

I have a dog kennel I could enclose and put a calf hut or something in it for shelter. It is a large kennel, 20x30 ft. with nearly 8tf fence around it. I wonder how Creambars would like living in there........

I tried to bribe Ed and Ole with treats today and get them friendlier to me. Ole is bribable. Ed told me where to stick my treats. He is not real friendly, he may have to live in the 4x3 dog kennel a little longer than Ole.

Here is pictures of Ed and Ole today.

Ed looks much better than the pictures but he is so dark the color variations do not pick up well on my IPhone.

The LM fleet by us is going to have chicks in a few weeks!!! I want some geese, chicks, guineas and some runners!!!

It does make me sad to come here and here of losses. I'm so sorry. I hate it when it happens!

So, I just wanted to share that my 300 baby chicks are barreling down I-5 right this moment to come to their new home! Once we get them all dunked and settled in, I will take a photo for you all. Everyone must see what 300 baby chicks looks like, right? I am excited and scared at the same time. Delivery estimate says Saturday but they are at the most an hour away currently. As soon as I get the text update that they have arrived at the Springfield facility, I am going to be on the phone to arrange going there to pick those little cuties up!

Ralph: I wish that you lived closer because Bert and Sunny would make a cute pair. If he likes big girls that is. :)

Off to the races. You all have a great day!

Do you happen to have any CX pullets left from last year?  Bert so needs a friend with benefits to raise Little Berts with.

I have a tractor/brooder set up with a heat light in the brooder on a thermostat to keep it at 90-95 degrees, but I doubt that will even work until May. I like to use that for first couple weeks, then open a door to the great outdoors. 

I just want some eggs to raise frogs from it all!!! So I need them early, If I can find them somewhere, I would be happy with a dozen straight runs or 6 females.

Time to go let the girls out and collect frozen eggs.

You know, before "meeting" you folks this winter, I had never even thought to see how long I could keep them, or about bucking the conventional wisdom & trying to breed them out.

I may keep a few of the slower growing, stronger CXs next year, to participate in the frog experiment. I wish I had a couple CX hens to offer you & Bert.

Ralph would you be willing to sell any guineas???

I do not have any for sale now. I hope to have keets this spring to sell. I want to get up to about 20 of my own then sell the rest. I do not even know how many males or females I have.

They are so silly. They decided to stay in the prison yard. It has been open all day and they walk up to the door and stand there and holler! But do not take the next step outside.

I do not have any for sale now. I hope to have keets this spring to sell. I want to get up to about 20 of my own then sell the rest.  I do not even know how many males or females I have.

They are so silly. They decided to stay in the prison yard. It has been open all day and they walk up to the door and stand there and holler! But do not take the next step outside.
Maybe they are trying to tell you that you left the door open.

Back
Top Bottom