First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by JessicaThistle, Jun 10, 2014.

1. dpenning

dpenning Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Blue Ridge, TX
    Packing peanuts makes me laugh out loud. Your description of a chicken mosh pit is great, video would be fun.... In your spare time! :rolleyes:

. No therapy required Ralph. We call it the Pepe le Pew treatment in my house. :)

2. Clucksandgiggle

Clucksandgiggle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2014
    Wisconsin

I thought about your 311 chicks when I walked into TSC today and heard all the chirping. Got back to discover less that 20 chicks we making all that racket! Your poor ears!!

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I mentioned "chicken diapers" to my DW tonight. She did not believe me.

She asked why when said I might get one.......

I said, so Bert could spend time with me in the house, watching TV and having a Mike's....

I cannot say what she answered due to the double secret probation I am currently on for hinting at a certain swear word or two.....

4. JessicaThistle

JessicaThistle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2014
    Oregon
    Yes, it is insane! I'm still traumatized.

Haha Ralph. My husband is completely opposite. He keeps asking me when I am going to sew up some diapers for the chickens! Let me just add that in to my non-existent spare time that i have. Haha! I personally think the diaper on would be better than the free for all without them.

5. Turkeytruff

Turkeytruff Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Yes I think every house needs a box full of chicks at the very least.... i have 5 MG 2 week old chicks in a large box in the dining room. They are quite vocal and lovely chunky little fellas. When I add the new FF to their bowl, the biggest one takes a flying leap and jumps straight in the bowl.
    I take a screen off the top when I'm in the room and they like to roost on the edge. Every time I introduce a new food like a slice of apple today, they shriek at me as if I'm trying to kill them. But they will come onto my arm if I leave it long enough by the box at the top.
    And yes, is there anything more adorable than a chick cuddle heap? that and their sweet sleepy little chirps I'm hearing as I write this.

6. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Jessica, sorry you lost your five chicks. Five. Do you realize that there is usually a 10_
    -30% loss on an order that size? Washing those butts paid off. Kudos
    . Got the 6th Sebright on it's way to hatching. Man, quick.:lol:

7. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Yay! Everyone is back!

Ralph, I am depressed with the weather too. We got another foot of snow yesterday. Supposed to snow for a few more days. I am beginning to believe we will have 4' of frost by the time this is over.

I miss the sound of baby chicks in the brooder box! I do love having the little fuzzballs in the house and listening to their sweet sounds... but I seriously can't stand the mess. I am a bit like Ralph with his gloves unloading the dishwasher.

When I told my sister in law about my plans for chickens, she recounted a story of a lady who owned an antique shop near where they lived. She had a chicken that went everywhere with her and even slept in her bed! I assured my SIL that I would NEVER be such a crazy chicken lady.
    On more than one occasion, I fell asleep on the couch snuggling a baby chick or two...
    Guess what she sent me for Christmas? A sign that says "crazy chicken lady parking"

Chickens are smart. I wonder, if instead of diapers, we could litter box train them? I had a rabbit that used a litter box. Hmm...

Luckily I stocked up on all of the essentials like booze and milk yesterday. Our road is impassable today. In fact, I was the last truck that made it up yesterday afternoon. Looking out my window, I see 3 cars in the ditch.
    We live in a "subdivision" in the foothills where everyone has between 2-30 acres. The "maintained" dirt road that leads to our homes is steep and has sharp curves. Funny, our plow guy is one of the trucks in the ditch.
    Guess I am stuck here for a while.

8. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I hope you got Chocolate mix or chocolate milk and peppermint schnapps..

You are having one of those days where it is an essential vitamin...

It goes without saying I wear rubber gloves while cleaning a chicks rear, or anything else I deem "yucky"....

Training a chicken to use a litterbox would be coo, but the chicken would be in it every 5 minutes. I never thought I would want a "pet" chicken, but Bert is getting through my defenses. I even spend 3-4 minutes petting him last night on his feed sack. He is just such a cutey!

BTW my daughter in law is not impressed with my latex gloves... My grand daughter wants them whenever she does anything ' like grandpa does"!!! I am thinking she hates the phrase " like Grandpa does".

9. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Hahaha! I love it!

The kids have a snow day and it is so dang cold out, I doubt they will venture out. I am certainly going to need some extra vitamins today. Peppermint is good for your tummy, milk has all sorts of vitamin D, and chocolate has antioxidants. I am sure doctors marvel at my health.

10. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Ralph we had a house chicken for about a week. It was our cute little barred rock bantam. You cant tell how big of a mess they make with feed when they have bedding in a coop. There was layer all over!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by