First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by JessicaThistle, Jun 10, 2014.

1. JessicaThistle

JessicaThistle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2014
    Oregon
    QUESTION OF THE DAY!

Can EEs be barred like a barred rock? For the last two days I have been getting 4 blue green eggs in the nests. I only have 3 EEs. Two of the eggs are small like a new layer's egg. I have two barred pulletts from the rescues that look like a barred rock with a rose or pea comb. They did not have green legs really.

So, what do my Bar & Grill Peeps think on this? Is my new laying EE laying me two eggs each day, or is one (or both) of my barred pullets actually an EE too?

2. nj2wv

nj2wv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Lost Creek ,WV
    I have heard that if it has a comb like an EE then it will lay a blue or green egg.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Not necessarily, because some EE lay brown eggs.

4. nj2wv

Jan 14, 2015
    Lost Creek ,WV
    I thought so too but I saw somewhere that if it has a pea comb or maybe a rose comb that it has the blue egg gene so you get green or blue eggs. It wouldn't be a first time they gave wrong information lol .

5. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    We only have 3-4 toppers now we have to get rid of some cuz they got busted. They are great as they stay super warm when it is below zero.

I was impressed with there production considering that not all our hens were picked for laying. Our little Cochin bantams are better than our standard Cochin.

Our CornishX finds toppers as her little kingdom also.

6. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    I don't know Jessica. I was thinking Dominique with the barred birds but I may be wrong. Can you get pics??

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  7. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    We got three and a half dozen eggs today and am selling eight dozen tomorrow. Which equals $20 so that is about 2 bags of feed.

8. nj2wv

Jan 14, 2015
    Lost Creek ,WV
    You are right. ! I forgot about Dominique's. I used to have two of them until the fox got them.

9. JessicaThistle

JessicaThistle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2014
    Oregon
    I thought Dominiques too b.ut who is laying the mystery 4th green egg???? I don't think Doms lay green eggs.

10. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I asked Jessica's question in a EE thread I go to regularly.

The thought of barred chickens laying colored eggs excites me. I like barred birds, always have, but I like the colored eggs. Also my rocks are just naturally friendly, something most my EE are not.. Matter of fact, one growled at me last night when I pet her while locking the coop.. Truthfully she growled while I was bent over collecting eggs and she was on the roost close to were I my head was. Maybe she just does not like me.

I find it so funny when a chicken growls, like they are big bad dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by