First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Congrats on your new chickens!
I just picked up 36 (ordered 35, plus 1 special) on Monday. This is my second batch this year.
My first batch is almost ready for butcher.

Have fun!
I realized I have not asked how your batch is going?

Mine will be 1 week old tomorrow and I am excited to do some random weighing and pics of a couple of them. I will probably do a short video too for my records. I'm taking daily notes just so I don't forget or miss anything and have ideas for my next batches over time. I have already come up with new ideas just in the few short days that I have had them.

I just love hearing all those little peeps and seeing all of those adorable little balls of yellow fluff running around!

I realized I have not asked how your batch is going?

Mine will be 1 week old tomorrow and I am excited to do some random weighing and pics of a couple of them.  I will probably do a short video too for my records.  I'm taking daily notes just so I don't forget or miss anything and have ideas for my next batches over time.  I have already come up with new ideas just in the few short days that I have had them.

I just love hearing all those little peeps and seeing all of those adorable little balls of yellow fluff running around!

Both batches are doing well thanks.
My first batch will be 8 weeks old on Tuesday (butchering Wednesday).
My second batch will be 1week old tomorrow ( same as yours).
With my 1st batch, I marked a random chick with blue food colouring on the back of its neck the second day we had them & took pictures of it (everyday for like 3 weeks, then once a week for the past 4). It was really cool to compare how much & fast they grow!! I wish I would've done weights, that would be cool!

I'm sure yours do too, but the little ones already have feathers on their wings.

Btw, if you wanna see my "picture progress" I started a thread in the Pictures section called "As the chick grows".

I'm looking forward to hear how yours do as the weeks go on!

My 30 meat chicks were one week old on Monday! It is amazing how fast they are growing! I weighed 4 random chicks on day 2 and weighed 4 random chicks again on Monday. They averaged 3 ounces of growth in 6 days!

Random Chick - Two days old

Random Chick - Seven days old

I estimate they are eating a little over 1/4 cup of feed per day each. I am giving free choice at this time for the most part. However, if they run out, I don't refill right that minute. It's fun to watch them all scratch where the pans are to find the food that has fallen and I'm sure it is good for them to work a bit. I can't wait to get them out into the chicken tractor!

Both batches are doing well thanks.
My first batch will be 8 weeks old on Tuesday (butchering Wednesday).
My second batch will be 1week old tomorrow ( same as yours).
With my 1st batch, I marked a random chick with blue food colouring on the back of its neck the second day we had them & took pictures of it (everyday for like 3 weeks, then once a week for the past 4). It was really cool to compare how much & fast they grow!! I wish I would've done weights, that would be cool!

I'm sure yours do too, but the little ones already have feathers on their wings.

Btw, if you wanna see my "picture progress" I started a thread in the Pictures section called "As the chick grows".

I'm looking forward to hear how yours do as the weeks go on!
I checked out your "picture progress". It is awesome! Since I took pics on day 1 with them, at one week old and plan to do it each week, it makes sense for me to do that here too. Such fun!

Video I took on week one!

0.jpg

I decided to put my chicks in the garden today to see what they did.

0.jpg

This was a short bit. I gave them some watermelon and after they discovered that it was food, there was a bit of keep away going on and some exploration. My sweet hubby finished the chicken tractor tonight! I think we will put them out tomorrow in that for the day!

Cool videos! It's funny when you put them in a new surrounding/area they stay all together until one or two decide to venture off.
I haven't tried to offer them watermelon yet. But maybe now I will try.

Cool videos! It's funny when you put them in a new surrounding/area they stay all together until one or two decide to venture off.
I haven't tried to offer them watermelon yet. But maybe now I will try.

Thank you! I'm having so much fun that I want to share with everyone else. It took them awhile to start running around. They were out there for about 3 hours. The watermelon took some time to excite them too. I do notice that with all of my chickens, new things aren't always taken to immediately. They have to look at it and think about it for awhile. My husband finished the chicken tractor today so the plan will be for them to spend some hours in it today. Woohoo!

So cute. And they grow so fast. Good luck. What are you feeding them? And the times a day? Or do you just leave it out.
thumbsup.gif

I am feeding them Nutrena Naturewise Meatbird food. I added some of the Nutrena Naturewise Medicated Chick Starter with the mix since they hit ground as well. I am very happy with the results with all of my chickens with the Nutrena food. They are all happy eaters.

For the CX, I am using two muffin tins and filling the cups in the morning. If I go in the afternoon and they are empty plus a bunch of chicks are scratching around like maniacs, I put another scoop in there. Then I refill before bed. I am going through 10-11 cups of food per day.

They were hungry this morning because they ran to me rather than away from me. They all stood on the muffin tins to tell me how hungry they were. I could barely pick the tins up to dump the wood chips and refill. They are silly birds.

When they are in the tractor permanently, I plan to move the tractor 1-2 times per day as needed, feed twice a day and encourage free ranging for 2-3 hours each evening or more depending on my work load for the day.

Thank you! I'm having so much fun that I want to share with everyone else. It took them awhile to start running around. They were out there for about 3 hours. The watermelon took some time to excite them too. I do notice that with all of my chickens, new things aren't always taken to immediately. They have to look at it and think about it for awhile. My husband finished the chicken tractor today so the plan will be for them to spend some hours in it today. Woohoo!

I am feeding them Nutrena Naturewise Meatbird food. I added some of the Nutrena Naturewise Medicated Chick Starter with the mix since they hit ground as well. I am very happy with the results with all of my chickens with the Nutrena food. They are all happy eaters.

For the CX, I am using two muffin tins and filling the cups in the morning. If I go in the afternoon and they are empty plus a bunch of chicks are scratching around like maniacs, I put another scoop in there. Then I refill before bed. I am going through 10-11 cups of food per day.

They were hungry this morning because they ran to me rather than away from me. They all stood on the muffin tins to tell me how hungry they were. I could barely pick the tins up to dump the wood chips and refill. They are silly birds.

When they are in the tractor permanently, I plan to move the tractor 1-2 times per day as needed, feed twice a day and encourage free ranging for 2-3 hours each evening or more depending on my work load for the day.

Another thing you might consider is fermented feed. It's saves money, so healthy for them and keeps the poop from smelling to high heaven. Here's a site that explains any questions.
celebrate.gif

http://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

Back
Top Bottom