First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Thank you Linda. I have read all of the threads on here about the fermented feed. Since this is my first time, I am going with the basics. I want to be able to compare apples to apples and if I don't start with the one apple, I can't really compare it to the other. I think the ff is a great idea but I want to try the standard way first.

I'm not really having a terrible problem with smell yet. I am using the deep litter method in the brooder and adding fresh chips twice a day. They are small yet and I know that may be a problem when they are bigger. By then, they will be in the chicken tractor on the pasture and my husband can have the shop back.

The chicks first visit to the chicken tractor!

0.jpg

The chicks really enjoyed the time in the chicken tractor yesterday. What fun it was to see them run around, pecking and looking for goodies.

Unfortunately, I woke up to an expired chick this morning though. I had a gut feeling on this one last night too and probably should have tried something to perk him up. I thought just maybe he was super sleepy from the time out on the grass and had eaten a bit too much since his crop was pretty full. Maybe he ate something that I didn't know was in the grass or maybe just got stressed. I don't know. I am mixing some medicated food in and have ACV in their water to help out their immune systems since they have been on the dirt.

All the rest of the chicks are doing well and are voraciously hungry today! I've never had them "yell" at me as loud as they were a bit ago. Since losing chicks sometimes is just part of raising them, all I can do is move forward and focus on keeping the rest of these little guys happy and healthy. The next time I get a gut feeling though, the electrolytes and vitamins are coming out!

What's the outside temp where you are? When it gets pretty hot here....like over 80 degrees (past few days its been mild though), I put powerade in their water regardless for the electrolytes.

Sorry to hear about the chick :(

What's the outside temp where you are? When it gets pretty hot here....like over 80 degrees (past few days its been mild though), I put powerade in their water regardless for the electrolytes.

Sorry to hear about the chick
sad.png

It's been mild here today. Today was maybe up to 80 but the last few days haven't been quite there yet. We had rain on Monday. I may just do some research on electrolytes and see if I can't just make up my own if needed. I'm not terribly convinced that adding sodium for them is the answer but I of course will figure it out. I almost wondered if it was a case of "I'm so full that I am too lazy to go get a drink of water". I have an 18 year old son, so this concept isn't new to me.
big_smile.png

Maybe...and this is total speculation....
Maybe it's too cool for them yet to spend too much time outside? Some time outside could be ok (I haven't let mine out yet), but maybe the one that died got too cool? Tomorrow ours should be of age to have the brooder at 85 degrees.

I'm having a bit of a hard time regulating the brooder temp with the outside temp fluctuating so much here lately.
I don't know, it's just something that came to mind.

Morning all, hope your day is going well. I've got my 11 blue egg layers outside in the shade. I forgot to add ACV to the mix and started feeding them the wet mush and they don't much like it. I can't give them the big girls FF because it has grain. So I stirred some in and waiting. So they are eating dry for now.

@Jessica Thistle , your birds are doing great. Yes expect some loses. They come no matter what breed. I lost 4 delaware for no reason at 0-7 days old. Love the video.

@ RedMini, Michigan gets to 80 degrees, It was 90+ and not at hot as some years. I bet we have a wretched year with the heat after that winter.

@ PlaidBattleAxe Yes, it's the greatest. Tikktoc got into the game when so many people griped about having to read the LOOOOOONG threads. So she made up a faq sheet and it has been a blessing. It keeps us from having to explain the process to newbies. Wonderful idea and she does it JUST like me.

@ holm25 You are a very brave person.
lau.gif
250 babies + layers. My 11 4 day olders are enough to wear me out. But I'm old.
tongue2.gif
The pictures are outstanding.

Back
Top Bottom