First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Well what's 1 more
1f44a.png
1f600.png

So yesterday I saw a big fat bobcat by our coop. I had one of my boys help round the chickens in the coop to do a headcount, they were out freeranging.. thank the Lord nobody went missing. I texted the hubby, who texted our neighbor...he went to check out his livestock and lost a baby goat to what looked like could have been a bobcat. The funny part is, before hubby got the word about the dead goat, he was asking for a detailed description of the bobcat. Asking me if maybe it could have been the stray that sometimes come by. Asking about if it had a short stubby tail and ear hair. By the time we were done talking about it, I was convinced maybe I hadn't really seen a bobcat!! That was until the neighbor texted about the goat!

Went outside this morning and transfered 59 chicks from the garage brooder to the outside grow out brooder. Then I cleaned out the garage brooder
which ia always a major pain,
put new bedding in it and placed four turkey poults,2 chukar,and the gray barred x saipan chick in it.After all the rain yesterday the humidity is through the roof!!!! In two hrs I was drenched!!!

I'm. keeping the hybrids on 24% protein for the next 5 weeks that will put them at 8 weeks old. Then I will weigh them and turn them loose into the general population. Normally after 4 weeks they are on 16% Im interested to see if the longer run on the higher protein makes any difference.

Last edited:
I'm. keeping the hybrids on 24% protein for the next 5 weeks that will put them at 8 weeks old. Then I will weigh them and turn them loose into the general population. Normally after 4 weeks they are on 16% Im interested to see if the longer run on the higher protein makes any difference.

I hope you have better luck on that than I had..

I weighed my 5 day old toads today 4.35 ounces. chubby little guys have no weight.. yet.

I am sure they will.

I am having a do nothing day again,,they get old. We must be going to be getting a storm. My joints hurt so bad I can barely walk. Getting old vacuums!!!

I want to be tilling and building cages and I sit in here and whine..... Oh well, whining done..

Last night I thought I had lost one of my Toads. We could not find him at lock up time. We looked all around the pen. No where to be seen. I figured another darn eagle loss. Then I saw his butt sticking out of the feeder. He had went head first into it. Tipped it over and could not get out because he is a fat little fellow.

I thought he was dead. When I picked up the feeder my wife says, I think it's alive it moved.

I tried to pull him back out. I could not do it, I had to take it apart and push him out the fat end. Stupid bird. Time to cover the feeders. I did not think they could get into them yet.

Back
Top Bottom