First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

What an exciting day!!!!! I go out feeding a while ago and notice the black nest box was moved over. I straighten it out and under is a 6 ft snake. I quickly put it back and go looking for Clint. We opened the cage and let out the chickens and he went in an shot him. Mad because it took two bullets. Also mad because I banged on the house and woke up Aimee. She sleeps so seldom and blew it for her. Panic will do that for you. Sorry I feel no guilt for this. The shots would have woken her anyways.

Yesterday I got my 16 Black Australorp eggs and today I got the incubator. I'll set it up and fill it up with those and my white rocks. Hope for a great hatch.
wee.gif

What an exciting day!!!!! I go out feeding a while ago and notice the black nest box was moved over. I straighten it out and under is a 6 ft snake. I quickly put it back and go looking for Clint. We opened the cage and let out the chickens and he went in an shot him. Mad because it took two bullets. Also mad because I banged on the house and woke up Aimee. She sleeps so seldom and blew it for her. Panic will do that for you. Sorry I feel no guilt for this. The shots would have woken her anyways.

Yesterday I got my 16 Black Australorp eggs and today I got the incubator. I'll set it up and fill it up with those and my white rocks. Hope for a great hatch.
wee.gif

That IS exciting. I've had to kill 3 rattlesnakes on my property over the last three years and boy does that get the adrenaline up.

We are rattlesnake country too.. luckily none have shown up! A couple huge rat snakes, but I like them.

Ralph- yes, you do have mosquitoes bigger. I have been eaten alive by them.

Holm- glad Ralph was able to set you straight. Shirley Temple is sprite with grenadine (maraschino cherry juice). Waste of time for the rest of us B&G folks, like he said. Unless it is the morning after a couple of cocktails.

LOOKIE WHAT I HAVE

Inside for the night, tomorrow they will go to the outside brooder. I am just selfish and don't want to check on them in the snow/rain business we have happening.

We are rattlesnake country too.. luckily none have shown up! A couple huge rat snakes, but I like them.

Holm- glad Ralph was able to set you straight. Shirley Temple is sprite with grenadine (maraschino cherry juice). Waste of time for the rest of us B&G folks, like he said. Unless it is the morning after a couple of cocktails.

LOOKIE WHAT I HAVE

Inside for the night, tomorrow they will go to the outside brooder. I am just selfish and don't want to check on them in the snow/rain business we have happening.
I am so jealous!!!! I want Baby CX's!

Hope ur hatch goes well Linda!! Ralph is right we do have bigger mosquitoes here. They r nasty bugger's...

I want baby CX to!! I guess I have Shirley temples all the time them that is my favorite...its good.

LOOKIE WHAT I HAVE

They are so tiny! Good luck!

They are indeed tiny. DH was wondering how on earth we would be able to eat them in 12 weeks. They are so adorable. I was holding a couple while they slept. Shh, don't tell.
He also gently stated I likely needed a poultry intervention... I not so gently stated he needed a poultry immersion so his chicken math started adding up.

A thought occurred to me as I was watching them last night:

These birds are not in the least bit lazy. They are pecking, scratching, running, cleaning each other, playing keep away... doing normal chicken things. The only reason they have gotten a bad wrap is because people try to grow them so fast. Just because you can force this particular type of bird to grow in half the time, does not mean you should.

My last batch was not the least bit lazy either. They would forage a good half acre away from their coop, "fly", chase the other hens.

Alright, off my soapbox.

Bert is personally hurt every time, he reads on here someone calling CX's lazy, sloppy and so forth. Therefore you stay on your soapbox for all the poor down trodden CX's that are not able to speak for themselves in today's repressive society.

Back
Top Bottom