First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

I have white bresse :) lol. Of course out of my quad of white bresse, 1 of my pullets went broody 2 days ago. I gave her 8 eggs today to sit on.

A friend has a broody hatching 8 bresse eggs for me. My incubators are full of ccl, ee, wb and ac eggs :( from my backyard flocks.

4 birds are broody right now and 6 dozen eggs set besides the broodies. Wait. What did I just say? Uh oh. Chicken math strikes again. Oh no.

Last edited:
I have white bresse
smile.png
lol. Of course out of my quad of white bresse, 1 of my pullets went broody 2 days ago. I gave her 8 eggs today to sit on.

A friend has a broody hatching 8 bresse eggs for me. My incubators are full of ccl, ee, wb and ac eggs
sad.png
from my backyard flocks.

4 birds are broody right now and 6 dozen eggs set besides the broodies. Wait. What did I just say? Uh oh. Chicken math strikes again. Oh no.
I can so sympathize with the chicken math thing.

I have every available hole in my incubators filled. Tomorrow I take the turner out of the hatcher but, I still will not have a hole until Sunday-Monday.

I just went out and caught the guineas to move them into Guinea gulag, I decided to count hens, I only had 29 and one of them was in a nest box sitting on a nest egg. I picked her out and set her on a roost. Boy was she grouchy, she growled and cursed me the whole time. Nest boxes are not for sleeping.

I could not find my last hen, then I went to the other coop and she was there (it is open air this time of year) the chickens in it our Berts girls and they live behind wire. Bert lives in a small pen on the floor open to the outside. The 30th hen (turken) was roosting on the edge of the pen right above Bert, keeping him company. JJ and Ethel roost on the fence next to this pen, so Turken might have just been keeping Mom and Dad company too. BTW did I mention when I found Ethels last nest it was Turken who told me where it was?

I heard an egg song and went over and Turken was singing it, Made no sense and I looked closer and saw Ethel on a nest. I went back and Turken was sitting on the nest. I am thinking Turken sang the egg song for her mom (Ethel). Turken never aid an egg of her own, she was just sitting on Ethels.

I can so sympathize with the chicken math thing.

I have every available hole in my incubators filled. Tomorrow I take the turner out of the hatcher but, I still will not have a hole until Sunday-Monday.

I just went out and caught the guineas to move them into Guinea gulag, I decided to count hens, I only had 29 and one of them was in a nest box sitting on a nest egg. I picked her out and set her on a roost. Boy was she grouchy, she growled and cursed me the whole time. Nest boxes are not for sleeping.

I could not find my last hen, then I went to the other coop and she was there (it is open air this time of year) the chickens in it our Berts girls and they live behind wire. Bert lives in a small pen on the floor open to the outside. The 30th hen (turken) was roosting on the edge of the pen right above Bert, keeping him company. JJ and Ethel roost on the fence next to this pen, so Turken might have just been keeping Mom and Dad company too. BTW did I mention when I found Ethels last nest it was Turken who told me where it was?

I heard an egg song and went over and Turken was singing it, Made no sense and I looked closer and saw Ethel on a nest. I went back and Turken was sitting on the nest. I am thinking Turken sang the egg song for her mom (Ethel). Turken never aid an egg of her own, she was just sitting on Ethels.

That is so dang cute Ralph! Turken loves her momma
love.gif

It was hopes and dreams of great stories like that that made me want so badly for one of my chickens to hatch, or accept turkey babies. Oh well. Maybe next year.

I really want to keep a CX rooster and see what happens... We already have two white chickens running around, maybe the hubs won't notice a third.

That is so dang cute Ralph! Turken loves her momma
love.gif

It was hopes and dreams of great stories like that that made me want so badly for one of my chickens to hatch, or accept turkey babies. Oh well. Maybe next year.

I really want to keep a CX rooster and see what happens... We already have two white chickens running around, maybe the hubs won't notice a third.

It is funny how the "turken" and the 2 barred rocks hang with Ethel and JJ. The barred rocks are "turkens" also. So when we say "the turkens" we know we mean all 3, but if we say "turken" then we mean the Delaware. I know they say animals do not remember things like who raised them, but they are together so often it makes me wonder.

Yesterday I had to yell at my white chickens. I have 4, Bert, Turken, ICU baby and the slutty little white rock, al four were in the one coop together, Bert, ICU and Turken were all in Berts pen. The white rock was perched on the fence, looking down at them like they were having a meeting. I told them they had to break it up right now, I would not allow them to form a KKK clan here! They left and I saw noticeable relief on Ernies face.

Ralphie - you're killing me!

So these Bresse's you some of you are incubating and raising - is it a French dual purpose bird? And where do you guys get your stock from, local breeders? How do they dress out, etc.?

Ralphie - you're killing me! 

So these Bresse's you some of you are incubating and raising - is it a French dual purpose bird?  And where do you guys get your stock from, local breeders?  How do they dress out, etc.? 

Mine are from a local breeder and yes they are from greenfire lines. They are the blue legged white bresse French breed
I think they still only call them American bresse unless you smuggle them in from France lol.

Last edited:

My blue legged bresse eggs arrived very well packaged with no broke ones.
This is a breed I've wanted for a loooong time!!
Can't wait till they start to hatch.
This is reason for a toast!! (Plus it's my Friday)

Back
Top Bottom