First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

TT first off I want to smack u lol jkjk. Only cuz I am jealous its only 40 degrees there. And my geese and ducks aren't honking or quacking. But the geese r as big as the pekins!! And they were hatched on May 16th. But 2 Muscovys r Lilac and 2 r chocolates. All r boys but one I mean 40 degrees Centigrade or 103-4? Fahrenheit? I can't bear to put them in the barn til late - they do enjoy the cooler evening hour and of course the meaties are foraging then.
Ooh, one more thing. Do y'all think an owl could pick off 2 month old turkeys? The BBB is huge and I am not worried about it at all. But my 2 heritage are certainly smaller. And they all like to sleep outside. I have to pick them up and put them in the coop every. single. night. Absolutely they can and do pick off a turkey that size.
Ethel is back and Po'd at me. Pictures say it all: Fabulous pictures! Well done EthEl! I can't wait til the poults arrive under all these crazy broody hens.

LInda, do you have any pictures of your Mama alligator sitting on her eggs and when will her babies come?

yuckyuck.gif

Hi, the title of this thread caught my eye because I had ordered 24 eggs to hatch. I figured half of what would hatch would be roosters and I'd want eat them. After reading this thread I want to get some Cornish X. And turkeys.

Anyway 11 chicks hatched yesterday and today. The three that hatched later are black chicks and the yellow ones won't stop pecking them so I have to keep them separated. I'm hoping tomorrow they can all be together. For now they are in the living room beside my desk. The kids are really enjoying them and I want to keep an eye on the little ones (kids and birds!)

The feed store in town said if we order by July 11 we can have some for August 8. Now to build a coop!

I posted these in another thread. I hope it's ok to repost.

Howdy - I'm still going through ALL the posts in this thread. But I thought I'd pipe up to say that you've convinced me! I have two overlapping orders of CX chicks coming this fall - the first 20 shipping on Sept. 2, and the second 20 shipping on Oct. 14. (This is the best time for our hot climate, because things start cooling off in September/October, so there isn't as much of a heat stress issue.) That should fill my freezer for the year, and harvest will be finished before I get busy with my new meat rabbit operation in January.

I'm convinced with regards to free range several hours a day, but I have Cooper's hawks that nest in the back of my property. I let my Cream Legbar pullets out in a paddock under a big red oak tree with low branches, and the hawk likes to just perch in adjacent tree and STARES at them, like he's trying to figure out a way to get to them (he can't - no way to take off and land - and they're very good at running to the coop if he flies overhead). So I don't let them in the open unless there's overhead cover or I'm there. But I'll have to let the meatballs out in the open area (space-wise). I have some ideas for overhead deterrents/cover, but would welcome info on what other folks have tried.

BTW, having both in my yard (a lot), in my experience, vultures do not keep hawks away. But maybe that's just here.

I started just by browsing around in this thread, and once I decided to try it, I went back to the very beginning to read every post. I'm taking notes. Painstakingly. So, I guess I'd better get back to it!
big_smile.png

- Ant Farm

Welcome and
Take good notes, there will be a test!

Sample questions:

What drink is the official drink of this thread while processing birds?

Do you bake or fry chicken for dinner on camp day?

What is the proper age to process a CX?

What method is best for storing them in a freezer?

How many days per year is a CX allowed to sleep in your bed room?

What does Linda do with all her gators?

What is MM's average Blood Alcohol?

How far does JR's closest neighbor live from him?

What is the exact number of Chickens Jessica owns?

List the people on this thread that do not shave their legs?

As you can see they are simple questions, just will take a little studying.....

Last edited:
Hi, the title of this thread caught my eye because I had ordered 24 eggs to hatch. I figured half of what would hatch would be roosters and I'd want eat them. After reading this thread I want to get some Cornish X. And turkeys. Anyway 11 chicks hatched yesterday and today. The three that hatched later are black chicks and the yellow ones won't stop pecking them so I have to keep them separated. I'm hoping tomorrow they can all be together. For now they are in the living room beside my desk. The kids are really enjoying them and I want to keep an eye on the little ones (kids and birds!) The feed store in town said if we order by July 11 we can have some for August 8. Now to build a coop! I posted these in another thread. I hope it's ok to repost.
welcome

Howdy - I'm still going through ALL the posts in this thread. But I thought I'd pipe up to say that you've convinced me! I have two overlapping orders of CX chicks coming this fall - the first 20 shipping on Sept. 2, and the second 20 shipping on Oct. 14. (This is the best time for our hot climate, because things start cooling off in September/October, so there isn't as much of a heat stress issue.) That should fill my freezer for the year, and harvest will be finished before I get busy with my new meat rabbit operation in January. 

I'm convinced with regards to free range several hours a day, but I have Cooper's hawks that nest in the back of my property. I let my Cream Legbar pullets out in a paddock under a big red oak tree with low branches, and the hawk likes to just perch in adjacent tree and STARES at them, like he's trying to figure out a way to get to them (he can't - no way to take off and land - and they're very good at running to the coop if he flies overhead). So I don't let them in the open unless there's overhead cover or I'm there. But I'll have to let the meatballs out in the open area (space-wise). I have some ideas for overhead deterrents/cover, but would welcome info on what other folks have tried. 

BTW, having both in my yard (a lot), in my experience, vultures do not keep hawks away. But maybe that's just here.

I started just by browsing around in this thread, and once I decided to try it, I went back to the very beginning to read every post. I'm taking notes. Painstakingly. So, I guess I'd better get back to it! :D

- Ant Farm
welcome and so much to learn have fun

Welcome and
Take good notes, there will be a test!

Sample questions:

What drink is the official drink of this thread while processing birds?

Do you bake or fry chicken for dinner on camp day?

What is the proper age to process a CX?

What method is best for storing them in a freezer?

How many days per year is a CX allowed to sleep in your bed room?

What does Linda do with all her gators?

What is MM's average Blood Alcohol?

How far does JR's closest neighbor live from him?

What is the exact number of Chickens Jessica owns?

List the people on this thread that do not shave their legs?

As you can see they are simple questions, just will take a little studying.....

Oh my, I clearly have a LOT to look forward to.

Back
Top Bottom