First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Processing next Tuesday! This will be one day shy of 10 weeks. I've had them on 22% the whole time and am not going to change the feed. Started with 21 birds. Lost one a few weeks ago. She was one of the smaller birds and I noticed she wasn't eating or drinking for a few days before I dispatched her. Her abdomen turned darker purplish color and she has somewhat labored breathing - assume cardiac in nature. The rest are looking great. They seem to get around pretty well. I remember seeing some at the 4-H fair that couldn't even stand and their legs were at 180 degree angle under their body. Mine look strong and sturdy but they certainly do prefer sitting... um rolling... around versus walking. Have sold 10 at $3.25/lb. My tentative math works out so that after all costs, the 10 I'm keeping are free.
I titled this pic "meaties in the morning sun"

"meaties just wanna eat" no standing necessary...

I'll post some finished weights and pics when I sit back down Wednesday... so very excited!!!

Jessica I am so sorry to here you lost Sunny. I know she had a wonderful life. I just had to go check on mine when I heard. It's always in the back of my mind that my girls may not make it to a yr. But I'm enjoying them while they are here

Jessica I am so sorry to here you lost Sunny. I know she had a wonderful life. I just had to go check on mine when I heard. It's always in the back of my mind that my girls may not make it to a yr. But I'm enjoying them while they are here

How old are yours? I am sure you told us, but I have a senior memory, I don't recall much, But I forget what I do recall fast.. Pictures?

How old are yours?  I am sure you told us, but I have a senior memory, I don't recall much, But I forget what I do recall fast.. Pictures?
16 weeks now. The biggest is 6 lbs 10 oz and the smallest Pixie is 6 lbs 2 oz. And all still very active. Even in the heat.

Ive noticed that one of my meatballs likes to plop down at every opportunity,even though its on a restricted diet. I'm thinking they need to go into the pen to start getting More exercise.

Back
Top Bottom