First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

How long did you let it rest before frying it?

I have found the resting time is more important than the breed. I also have found I like the taste better on an older bird than the 6-8 week old CXs.

I let it rest 48 hours in the fridge, before I bagged it and froze it. I don't know if it counts as additional rest time, but it spent another 2 days defrosting in the fridge.

I let it rest 48 hours in the fridge, before I bagged it and froze it. I don't know if it counts as additional rest time, but it spent another 2 days defrosting in the fridge.

I count it that should have been enough. I have not had any younger ones be chewy. If they get close to a year or more. Then I need a meat grinder for them.

So you are a girl Holm!! Whoever said that last week was right!
lau.gif
gig.gif
yesss.gif
clap.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

LOL thats my lil sis....

Oh and Holm, what breed is that beautiful rooster? My roo looks exactly like him but with a pea comb. Since i adopted my roo as a chick on the side of the road, I have always wondered what his heritage could possibly be.

Mine is a Welsummer over Australorp.

I love all the chicken pictures. Holm, your rooster is absolutely gorgeous.

My meat chicken horizons are expanding. Last night, we made fried chicken with one of the 15 week old cockerels we processed a few weeks ago. It was a sussex-ameracuna cross and dressed out at 2 1/2 lbs. We had always assumed we needed to slow roast or crock pot the heritage birds, but wanted to experiment to see just how chewy it was using a rapid cooking technique. I'm pleased to say that it was delicious. Maybe a tad bit chewier than a CX, but overall tender and tasty.

Our plan going forward is to do a batch of meaties in the fall, but then hatch out a batch of eggs from our layers in the spring, to round out our chicken needs. As we have only one reliable broody, I've requested an incubator for X-mas.
If you need a reliable broody than you may want to pick up a silkie. I swear mine goes broody every 4 days. I have two of them and there seems to always be one of them spending their life in the nest. Good grief! If I wanted to hatch eggs those two would be the perfect little hatcheries. I guess an incubator is just as good, but nowhere near as cute.

I just love them though. They each have a different personality and are totally fun!

Sorry I've been gone again, croptober harvest time has me busy!!

my cornish x broilers from mt healthy 3 days ago. Doing super great!

I drool over this oven. It sold at auction for $180 on Sunday at the auction I go to. My bf didn't let me get it. Today my stovetop zapped and burnt electrical smoke filled my kitchen when I was trying to heat up water for my coffee this morning. Guess who needs a nww stoce? Guess who is going to end up paying more than $200 fir a bew stove?

If you need a reliable broody than you may want to pick up a silkie. I swear mine goes broody every 4 days. I have two of them and there seems to always be one of them spending their life in the nest. Good grief! If I wanted to hatch eggs those two would be the perfect little hatcheries. I guess an incubator is just as good, but nowhere near as cute.

I just love them though. They each have a different personality and are totally fun!

Hmmm, maybe I should be requesting silkies for x-mas instead.

Back
Top Bottom