First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

My three leghorns bought from welp hatchery have big colms and are tall so I'll probably rule them out.. I was thinking slow growth boilers but they wernt slow in the beginning just kinda slowed now I'm thinking not switching to meatie food has a major affect after a certain point I'm just not entirely sure

My three leghorns bought from welp hatchery have big colms and are tall so I'll probably rule them out.. I was thinking slow growth boilers but they wernt slow in the beginning just kinda slowed now I'm thinking not switching to meatie food has a major affect after a certain point I'm just not entirely sure
I've done a lot of reading on the broilers. Not all strains grow the same,even different hatches from the same suppliers can vary to a large degree.My slow growers from welps are almost the size of my Jersey Giants.

let's hear it guys and gals what breeding will be taking place on the farms
Let's see: This year I am planning on a human hatchling at the end of April. If that goes OK, then I plan to try meaties for the first time with 4-6, likely ordered from a local feed store as I can get that many from them through the end of May.

For layers, I need to add about 4 new ladies, and I'm thinking a Marans, an EE or two, and maybe another RIR, though I I am open to suggestions. I have to Lorpes, 3 EEs and a RIR right now. I am going for color variety in my egglings.

This is my Welp Slow Grow broiler that I kept back to cross into my Dark Cornish

I'm raising Freedom Rangers, got them 12/23. They have just feathered out pretty good. They've been inside a heated shed. It's been cold 21-24 at night here in NC. It's warmer thus weekend 53-60, during the day. Can they go out now? Do they require grit?

@Walker Farm I will defer to the folks that are more familiar with raising chickens in your neck of the woods.
As to grit, I give mine access to it by the second week. My way of thinking is that if they were with a hen,they would be finding "natural" grit

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom