First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

I bought some of the shrink bags from the link posted a couple pages back. They should be here in a couple of days. I plan to butcher on the 21st.

Metzer Farms is selling lots of 100 cx at 90cents each. Has anyone came across a cheaper price? I've purchased geese from them and was very satisfied with their service. The geese unfortunately had to go when they started attacking the chickens.

I'll post pics of processing day. As far as how big of a brooder I'll say at least 150 sqft. But would like to know what doc says as well.

these little guys are coming along nicely.I only had a 50% hatch rate.This was due to me NOT realizing i had forgotten to plug in one of the egg turners.

They are now about 9 wks old and around 12 to 14 lbs. I feel bad for them they seem to have a difficult time balancing and walking and will just lay down by the feeder and eat. Is this normal?

Ok glad to hear that although I will miss them since they were the first chicks I raised. I am giving them to a friend to do the deed I don't think I could eat them. But I will get over it and turn my attention to 4 new 1 wk old layers and start over. Thanks for the info.

Sounds like I'm on the right thread then
1f44d.png
1f44d.png
1f44d.png

What's up with Bett JR is he too big ?

Nice looking Labs as well.
I have a pair myself
1f44d.png

I am having trouble getting Bert Jr to breed. I have even trimmed the feathers (what few they have) around the vents to try and accommodate their conceiving , with no luck. I think they are just too large to breed naturally. Bert Jr has destroyed my last CX hen trying to breed her. He has cut huge gashes out of her thighs riding her. I have cut his toe nails, I have done everything I can think of and he just cannot breed.

He is a mellow bird, bottom of the pecking order of Toms and roosters. But he is large. I am guessing he pushes 30 pounds right now. He has slimmed down with the advent of spring but he still is one big boy. People that see him are amazed.

Most say he is the largest rooster he has ever seen. He is far bigger than his Dad, Bert Sr.

Back
Top Bottom