First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

My birds need gills too...so tired of the rain ! I'm wondering how I'm going to process...their feathers have little mud ball dingle berries hanging off of their bellies. They are 8 weeks tomorrow. Thinking of processing a few this weekend. I have chicks in the brooder that are fast outgrowing it and need the coop my meatier are in. Decisions, decisions.

I ended up with a 59% hatch rate on the "problem" incubator. It doesn't have the water reservoir that the hovabator does.So,after a thorough cleaning with bleach I found two plastic containers that i could cut down to fit under the wire mesh floor.Got them both filled with water and plugged it in. Gonna start doing some experimenting while its empty to try and get a more uniform humidity level

Good Luck you guys with your weather!

I have Toad pictures!

Nice birds, I have put them back on free will feed. They do not seem to eat or gain like CX's, even though they are 3/4 CX's. The breasts are smaller, that maybe genetics or my having withheld feed. The thighs and legs appear larger than CX's and they are taller. I am hoping this is the bird I want for the future.

Good Luck you guys with your weather! I have Toad pictures! Nice birds, I have put them back on free will feed. They do not seem to eat or gain like CX's, even though they are 3/4 CX's. The breasts are smaller, that maybe genetics or my having withheld feed. The thighs and legs appear larger than CX's and they are taller. I am hoping this is the bird I want for the future.
I have to say, (bottom pic) that is an ugly bird! I can see why you call them toads. What are they crossed with? Do they have warts, or what?

Last edited:
I have to say, that is an ugly bird! I can see why you call them toads. What are they crossed with?

The great Grandparents were 3 CX's and one Dixie rainbow. The one will look better as he matures and the red of the Dixie comes out. It may not help that his Mom and Dad are brother and sister...
lau.gif

Instead of a family tree he has a family Grain stalk.

I have to say, that is an ugly bird! I can see why you call them toads. What are they crossed with?

The great Grandparents  were  3 CX's and one Dixie rainbow.  The one will look better as he matures and the red of the Dixie comes out.     It may not help that his Mom and Dad are brother and sister...:lau

Instead of a family tree he has a family Grain stalk.

That's not a grain stalk, its a wreath!

Back
Top Bottom