First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

In my first batch of hybrids I had one barred x cx that upon reaching 4weeks,slipped the tendon in its leg. There are many things that can cause this condition and just as many "recommendations" for fixing or preventing it. I opt for the simple direct approach,i remove THAT bird from the program. IMO we overthink some of this stuff.

I had a hatchery tell me that some of my CX went off there legs because I wasn't feeding enough protein & I shouldn't reduce feed at all
1f602.png

Do not buy that line!

That is the first thing they teacher in feed salesmen school, it is a required class, "scaring the bird owner, BS101."...

I have none CX birds that are lame and have leg problems. It happens. All chicken breeds will have leg problems. I think it is just a congenital condition that surfaces now and then. No proof of this, just my observations.

People who promote negative images of the Cx only make me more determined to prove them wrong

Me too!

Nothing gets my dander up more than some body calling CX's lazy, worthless, dirty or some other nasty adjective that makes them seem like a lesser bird!

I try to refrain myself because of my raised hackles and the tendency I have to fight back with words that are not flattering.

I now try to educate, but not all people are open minded enough to believe anything I say or they have a dog in the fight like a feed salesmen does, and will stick to the story that enriches himself.

Do not buy that line!

That is the first thing they teacher in feed salesmen school, it is a required class, "scaring the bird owner, BS101."...

I have none CX birds that are lame and have leg problems. It happens. All chicken breeds will have leg problems. I think it is just a congenital condition that surfaces now and then. No proof of this, just my observations.
From my experience, chickens, regardless of breed or makeup that are allowed to free range are far less likely to have leg problems than those that simply lay around with their faces in a trough.

J.

Amazing isn't it. The same things that cause health problems in humans can have the same effect in chickens.
All we can do is offer our own experiences and encouragement. Not everyone one will listen to the voice of reason (normally I'd point out the democrats) from people with verifiable results.:)
When i go out to gather eggs I will get a picture of the Cx that escaped camp.I think I made the right call in keeping these off the bus. Time will tell.

I got the CX because people said they were lazy dirty nasty birds that I would be ready to dispatch w/- any problems. Instead I find this thread and end up with sweet birds that run after bugs, pull on my pant leg for attention, follow me around and I have to close my eyes when I dispatch them

Back
Top Bottom