First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

hens teeth.jpg Teeth....

Anyone here heard of 'naked chickens'? They are regular Cornish Cross, but with the scaless gene which means no scales on the legs and no feathers. They were bred to be kept in hot climates with no cooling for poultry. Neat, am I right?

I believe you meant "naked neck" chickens.... it's actually a recognized breed and not Cornish....

Actually, the Scaless gene can be in ANY breed, not just CX (though I did see where they were experimenting with the scaless CX), we also have a member on here that has the scaless gene in her Naked Necks. There is a HUGE difference between naked neck and scaless, the scaless do not have ANY feathers... at all... naked necks are only completely naked in a few spots and have pretty normal feathers across the body.

Hello all. My CornX made the journey to the new outside home today. We got them on May 5 and they are growing like plump little weeds. I'll post some pics shortly of their new home and the run. It was quite a slog (literally as we received 8.47 inches of rain in May) to complete the project. I was getting worried they were outgrowing their extra large dog crate apartment. 8 birds made it from the original 10.

Forgot to say, this is our first run of these birds and we're super excited too. Appreciate all the knowledge passed on in these forums! Thank you

Back
Top Bottom