First Saturday Lime vs. Ag lime

chickenmama2021

Hatching
Apr 21, 2021
Mississippi
New Chicken Mama here! I have moved my 13 chickens into their coop last week and they are doing great! The coop has no floor and is just on the ground. I have put a good thick layer of pine shavings down, but I am wondering if I need to add lime. Of course I have seen the ads for First Saturday Lime, but how is it different than regular Ag Lime? I am terrified of mites or lice infestation and want to make sure I take the proper measures to keep it from happening. I live in Central Mississippi and we have had a VERY wet and rainy spring so the ground is staying wet. I added more shavings to help with the moisture. Any tips or advice is appreciated!

I'm not exactly sure what First Saturday lime is. Looks like a cure all type of product.

We use plain old Mighty White barn lime here. It dries things out, and is cheap. I don't think it will work on a bare floor coop as far as keeping it dry. It can help cut ammonia smells.

If your floor stays damp you might consider a sand floor, or doing deep litter.

What lime does is neutralize acidity. It doesn't absorb moisture, deter bugs, kill odors, or anything else like that. It's just ground limestone whatever brand you buy -- sometimes dolomitic limestone, but just rock powder. (Quicklime is a different matter -- that's caustic and dangerous).

I only add lime to my coop bedding to give the compost a head start since I have extremely acidic conditions and use a mix of pine straw and pine shavings.

New Chicken Mama here! I have moved my 13 chickens into their coop last week and they are doing great! The coop has no floor and is just on the ground. I have put a good thick layer of pine shavings down, but I am wondering if I need to add lime. Of course I have seen the ads for First Saturday Lime, but how is it different than regular Ag Lime? I am terrified of mites or lice infestation and want to make sure I take the proper measures to keep it from happening. I live in Central Mississippi and we have had a VERY wet and rainy spring so the ground is staying wet. I added more shavings to help with the moisture. Any tips or advice is appreciated!
I'm in South Mississippi and have the same question!

What lime does is neutralize acidity. It doesn't absorb moisture, deter bugs, kill odors, or anything else like that. It's just ground limestone whatever brand you buy -- sometimes dolomitic limestone, but just rock powder. (Quicklime is a different matter -- that's caustic and dangerous).

I only add lime to my coop bedding to give the compost a head start since I have extremely acidic conditions and use a mix of pine straw and pine shavings.
Barn lime is a bit different. It is made to absorb liquid, and neutralize odors. We use it mostly on concrete floors, and rabbit urine. It's used in the dairy business to keep things a bit cleaner. It's different than lime put on the soil. It also can be made into whitewash.

I layer barn lime > horse pellets > pine shavings to keep things dry and from getting too smelly.

From the First Saturday Lime website, their product is a combo of hydrated lime & citric acid that has been neutralized from giving a dangerous chemical reaction. But they don't exactly explain why it's better than barn lime, just that it's 'stronger'.

I would give the regular barn lime a try first - 50lb for $3.29 (TSC) vs. 20lbs of FSL for $30 (Amazon).

I layer barn lime > horse pellets > pine shavings to keep things dry and from getting too smelly.

From the First Saturday Lime website, their product is a combo of hydrated lime & citric acid that has been neutralized from giving a dangerous chemical reaction. But they don't exactly explain why it's better than barn lime, just that it's 'stronger'.

I would give the regular barn lime a try first - 50lb for $3.29 (TSC) vs. 20lbs of FSL for $30 (Amazon).
Will barb lime hurt chickens if they ingest it somehow

Will barb lime hurt chickens if they ingest it somehow
We use barn lime daily here, and we have never had a problem. If your chickens are consuming the lime enough to notice make sure they have free access to oyster shells, and grit.

Back
Top Bottom