First & Second Eggs! But laying issue?

SlabtownFarm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 26, 2012
Of course I was out of town this weekend and I get the call last night that our chickens laid their 1st and 2nd eggs! Big excitement in our house.

One was in the right place in the box, the other was out in their open run area. Is there something I can do to help whichever hen laid in the run to learn to lay in the box?

We've got 8 hens (4 RIR, 4 White leg horns), they were all hatched on 3/25, and the eggs were brown, so i know they came from one of the red ladies.

Any tips are appreciated!

P.S. I know what you mean about the 'first eggs excitement'
wink.png

I meant to mention, I do have a golf ball in one and a fake egg in the other. Hopefully she'll figure it out!

I wouldn't worry at this point. If you see an egg, just pick it up... best not to leave them laying around as an experimental peck might lead to the discovery that there's tasty stuff inside that shell. when they're just getting started, you could find an egg anywhere. It's like they don't really know what's happening, or what to do about it. One of my girls habitually laid under the perch. (made a little nest there) I tried putting garlic scapes there, hoping that the smell would repel her... she only moved her nest over 8". So I covered the area with plywood, and that did the trick.

Back
Top Bottom