First & Second Eggs! But laying issue?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SlabtownFarm, Jul 22, 2013.

1. SlabtownFarm

SlabtownFarm In the Brooder

Dec 26, 2012
    Of course I was out of town this weekend and I get the call last night that our chickens laid their 1st and 2nd eggs! Big excitement in our house.

One was in the right place in the box, the other was out in their open run area. Is there something I can do to help whichever hen laid in the run to learn to lay in the box?

We've got 8 hens (4 RIR, 4 White leg horns), they were all hatched on 3/25, and the eggs were brown, so i know they came from one of the red ladies.

Any tips are appreciated!

2. lawrencerooney

lawrencerooney In the Brooder

Jun 3, 2013
    In the hand of God
    Hi, I use golf balls in the nesting boxes and after a few days, they get used to laying in the boxes and it should be ok. See if it works for you :)

3. lawrencerooney

Jun 3, 2013
    In the hand of God
    P.S. I know what you mean about the 'first eggs excitement' [​IMG]

4. SlabtownFarm

SlabtownFarm In the Brooder

Dec 26, 2012
    I meant to mention, I do have a golf ball in one and a fake egg in the other. Hopefully she'll figure it out!

5. lawrencerooney

Jun 3, 2013
    In the hand of God
    It should ... but someone else might have some better advice than mine that will work

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I wouldn't worry at this point. If you see an egg, just pick it up... best not to leave them laying around as an experimental peck might lead to the discovery that there's tasty stuff inside that shell. when they're just getting started, you could find an egg anywhere. It's like they don't really know what's happening, or what to do about it. One of my girls habitually laid under the perch. (made a little nest there) I tried putting garlic scapes there, hoping that the smell would repel her... she only moved her nest over 8". So I covered the area with plywood, and that did the trick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by