first show, how to wash?

Duckduckgoosie

Songster
May 27, 2021
Austin, Texas
We’re entering our Mr Fancy Pants in the backyard division of a local poultry show on Saturday for fun- it’s a fundraiser for 4H. I’ve read the article about prepping but wondering how to wash him to look his best? His feet at least, it’s been muddy here.

thank you ☺️

Attachments

• 22ACAE84-EA78-4054-BCB1-9A468E312CB4.jpeg
    22ACAE84-EA78-4054-BCB1-9A468E312CB4.jpeg
    790.8 KB · Views: 29
Use a couple of buckets of warm water. In one, wash him using dawn, baby shampoo, or cat shampoo. Start by scrubbing the soap into his vent feathers. Then use the soap, rubbing with and not against the feathers. Use an old toothbrush and soap and water to scrub his feet clean. Then rinse in the other bucket. Use a nail clippers to trim his beak and toenails and put vaseline on his face and his legs (where his foot feathers are not.
Air dry in a clean cage if weather permits. Otherwise, blow dry.

Use a couple of buckets of warm water. In one, wash him using dawn, baby shampoo, or cat shampoo. Start by scrubbing the soap into his vent feathers. Then use the soap, rubbing with and not against the feathers. Use an old toothbrush and soap and water to scrub his feet clean. Then rinse in the other bucket. Use a nail clippers to trim his beak and toenails and put vaseline on his face and his legs (where his foot feathers are not.
Air dry in a clean cage if weather permits. Otherwise, blow dry.
thank you!

I am scared to trim his beak- and probably waited too long, if show is in 48 hrs?

Just clip his upper mandible at the place where it over hangs. Or his lower if there is excess there. There is a chance it doesn’t need to be trimmed. Some birds have beaks that grow faster than others.

Thank you!! My elderly friend, his original owner, got to come see him in the show and it was just such a thrill to tell her about his ribbon.

We were in the “backyard division”, meant to encourage newcomers I think. It was so fun.
Congratulations!

Back
Top Bottom