First "slaughter"

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Farmettehopeful, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Farmettehopeful

Farmettehopeful Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2012
    Johnstown, PA
    Today we had to slaughter one of our 6 meaties. My best guess is that since he had a bum leg, he was pushed around a lot at the feed trough because he wasn't nearly as big as the others. I thought about separating him and attempting to nurse his leg but I figured, after reading every thread on meaties, that it wouldn't be worth it for him because when he gained weight, it would only have made his leg worse. So at 5 weeks old, we had a 2lb 1oz roaster this evening. My brother did 99% of the work because he did it before. Since I don't like skin anyhow, he just skinned him so no plucking which made the process much faster. I watched then donned my gloves for heart and liver removal (for the dogs) and am still surprised that I didn't freak out! I am an animal lover but I am not ignorant of the circle of life. Since I am the one who raises them, I was sure to put it into my mind from the very beginning that these are not our "babies", I love them and care for their needs but I have not and will not "baby" them as I do my layers or cats or dogs!
    I was very surprised at how different the meat was from grocery store meat, even my dad (who is not a fan of chicken) commented on how good it was. We both said, we can't really explain it but there is a difference and it's better. After his comment, my mom was hoping he'd agree on raising some but he still says no lol. Even though I was ready to slaughter early due to limited yard space, I am now looking forward to keeping these stinky birds for 3 more weeks!

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Congrats to you, It will get easier. You did the right thing. We have eaten many small fryers because of problems. There is nothing better than a fresh chicken. I love them the first three to four wks, but after that I can't wait for them to be done. :drool

3. 23Matt23

23Matt23 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    I am also looking forward to trying one of my meat birds. I hear that the taste is not even comparable to store bought chicken!!! Unfortunitaly I still have about 7 or 8 weeks left [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by